✩ chapter eight

『 ↝ gone with the wind ↜ 』

~ ✩ ~

ANDIE HAS BEEN ON HER WAY TO SEATTLE FOR OVER A MONTH NOW. If she were to be completely honest, about a week in she started regretting her decision, but she let herself worry so long the another two weeks past, that there was no way she would be returning at that point.

She was running a bit short on food supplies already, and she definitely has been through a lot. To say her personality hasn't hardened, would be a lie. After she had to kill that one woke person, because she was in a life threatening situation.. it was different than killing an infected, to they she got fairly used to.

Killing a person, was something entirely different. It was the afterthought that this person had a family and friends and maybe even a lover that really got to her head. After having to endure and go through this thought a certain amount of times, she learned to grow cold.

With time, the longer she was away from her almost former crush, her active feelings started to somewhat freeze. Yes, freeze not disappear. Because Andie knew that if she were to encounter Ellie right now they would all melt right back. Somewhere deep down her feelings were untouched and thriving. For now she just wanted to push them back as far as she could.

Those few days of intense training before her travel, really came in handy. Turns out she had to to way more hand to hand combat than she expected. Her face was now littered with small scars and bruises, and her leg has suffered a pretty bad injury, where it was constantly aching and she had a limp.

Andie found herself walking on a thin path leading to a very small village. She knew she had to be cautious around those because it could turn out to be a place full of infected, only waiting to be waken up, or it could be the exact opposite- a goldmine full of resources like leftover food and weapons or medications.

She carefully approached one of the buildings, there weren't many of them- maybe like 6 or 7, and she quietly snuck in through a broken window in the bad side of the house. So far it seemed fairly good, because no spores were flying around, which usually notified that there were many rotting infected corpses around somewhere.

She looked around a room, that turned out to be a quite cozy living room. If you didn't take into account the abandoned state of it, of course. There was a spare ammo box laying on the shelf and journal, but Andie didn't bother reading what was inside. She didn't have time. It was getting dark, and she needed to make sure it was okay for her to camp out here for the night.

She took out her small hand pistol and carefully walked through the small arch to the main hallway. Luckily there was nothing and no one. Her side mission on this trip, was to find a usable mask she could use in case of a 'spore emergency'. So far she's been just running away as fast as she could but she knew she couldn't continue doing that, as it was too dangerous.

She checked the two remaining rooms on the ground floor, before she decided that it would not suffice and she needed to check the first floor as well. Andie walked up the stairs and immediately noticed a rotting human corpse leaning on a wall.

She carefully walked over to it, with a pistol in tact, but immediately noticed a mask, just like new, laying there attached to his backpack. She ran over to it and got a hold of her prize.

Suddenly something grabbed her by her shoulder and threw her aside, before running back to her and grabbing her throat sloppily.

"Shit!" She cussed. She knew exactly what was happening. Andie let her guard down when she saw the mask and didn't see an obvious stalker hiding just behind the open door next to the corpse.

She struggled to catch her breath for a few seconds, but then after gathering herself together and a little bit of a fight with the infected, she got a good hold of its shoulder with one hand, just to keep it from not biting her ok the face, and with her other hand she grabbed her switch blade that she pierced through the stalkers head and rotated in 90° just to make sure it was finally out of its final breath.

She sighed in relief multiple times, gathering her shallow breath together. Andie cleaned herself off from the blood of the infected and reached for the mask, only to realise that while the stalker pushed her aside, she fell on the newfound mask and broke it.

"Great." She muttered to herself sarcastically. She stood up and gathered her backpack and walked over to a window, with her side aching from the hit.

Andie froze in her place the moment she saw the situation outside. From the stalkers screaming and all the sound that they made while fighting, apparently a whole neighbourhood woke up. Tens if not around a hundred of infected were running out of different houses and rushing over to the one she was currently in. She had to get out of there. Now.

The brunette practically ran downstairs, with no time to think if she'd stumble or not and she rushed out to the living room, however seeing that infected were already climbing through the window she changed directions and ran to the kitchen instead. She threw a bottle at the single window there, generating much noise that caught all the infected's attention, but right now she couldn't care less.

Andie jumped out of the window, creating a large scar in her leg that the sharp glass in the window frame caused. She ran either way, not caring about it, feeling that if she stopped running she wouldn't be able to anymore.

A clicker that rushed in for the side grabbed her hand, instantly leaning its head down to bite it, but Andie in the rush, waved her hand around, hitting him on his 'face', which seemed to work and took it out. That didn't go without any further injuries, as her hand was now probably sprained.

She cursed and continued to run, until she no longer heard any disturbing screaming behind her anymore. She slowed down, still not stopping completely. While walking, or rather heavily limping forward, she looked around to get a hold of her surroundings. She noticed a big abandoned facility that seemed like it used to be some sort of research lab ahead of her.

The night took over the cloudy day, and the girl slowly but surely marched over to it. She contemplated staying there, as she was definitely in no condition to fight a hoard of zombies that could potentially be camping out there anymore.

She pushed the rotating glass door weakly. Andie knew that because of her injuries her mind was gonna turn off soon. She knew that any moment now she would collapse so she needed a somewhat safe place to stay.

With the last of her strength, she climbed up to the first floor and found a secluded corner. Andie leaned on one of the walls and slid down, with her legs not even being able to hold her up anymore. I'm a matter of seconds, her eyes closed and everything went black.

~ ✩ ~

rosary thinks...

A short but still important chapter everyone. Without it the story wouldn't make sense, and I didn't wanna pack up some unnecessary thoughts and sentences just to get to 1500 words, you know?