✫ chapter twenty one

『 ↝ difficult conversations ↜ 』

~ ✫ ~

THE FIRST THING SHE FELT WAS A STRIKING HEADACHE. Andie shut her already closed eyes even harder, hoping to miraculously fix the pounding in her head. She felt sick. She felt almost the same as if she was hungover, but worse. She hated it.

Suddenly it felt like all the sunlight in the world collectively ventured towards her eyelids, making her literally, not figuratively, see red. She shut her eyes further yet again, thinking it would block out the light, which of course it didn't.

And so she was forced to move. To either move her hand to cover her eye, so both hands, or to actually open her eyes and look around. Now that she thought about it, the latter was definitely the worse choice. Her lids felt so heavy. She had no intention to actually use her any remaining strength to open them.

Andie lifter her right hand, desperately trying to block out the light, that now was starting to melt off her eyes, or at least that what it felt like. She didn't get to enjoy her peace in dark and silence for long though, because a feminine, but still deep voice spoke up.

"Are you up yet?"

Andie contemplated wether she should answer or not. She could simply pretend to still be asleep. Yeah, the hand move was questionable, but she'd seen sleeping people do that all the time. She even did it herself all the time with auntie back in Jackson, when she didn't wanna wake up for Sunday school or later when she didn't wanna go in the morning to the storage for toothpaste, cause it was always gone by the afternoon.

However, whoever was speaking to her seemed to have been reading her mind or something, because she spoke up again.

"I know you're awake."

Andie let out a big, unsatisfied sigh mentally. She let her hand drop and opened her eyes defeated. She pulled herself up on her elbows and slowly looked around as her vision came to focus. The room was empty, people-wise, except for a quite muscular woman sitting in front of her, on a regular chair. Next to her was a small coffee table with a book with a bookmark somewhere in the middle of it. Andie figured that she must've been reading that novel, waiting for her to wake up.

"How long have I been out?" Andie asked the woman who was sitting across from her, staring at her with a growing smile. She thought for a minute, before looking at her book. She directed her gaze back towards Andie and posed a question.

"How long do you think it would've taken me to read this book to my bookmark?" She riddled the brunette. Andie looked at the book, squinting her eyes, thinking about her answer. "Dunno. Maybe like half an hour?" She answers truthfully. The other woman let out a small breathy chuckle.

"There you have your answer." She replied with a grin. The corners of Andie's mouth raised a bit, intrigued by the answer. She pulled herself up even further, to a sitting position.

She proceeded to stand up, but her vision immediately went black and she suddenly felt suffocated, probably due to low iron or something. Defeated, she sat back down and waited for her eyesight to get back in order. The woman still sitting in front of her smiled again.

"Who are you?" Andie asked, realising that this entire time she's been having a conversation with a complete stranger. The girl looked familiar, with dark blonde hair in a long braid. Although she had to admit, by the looks of her jacked body, Andie did not want to mess with her.