✩ chapter eleven

『 ↝ a close call ↜ 』

~ ✩ ~

THE GROUND WAS VIOLENTLY SHAKING. Small bits and pieces as well as a lot of dust started detaching from the ceilings and soon bigger parts even began caving in, in some places. The walls were starting to get fragile.

Ellie frantically looked towards the exit and pulled Andie's arm, that was holding on to her upper arm, down to her wrist. She started moving towards the exit and with no time to think, she rushed that way.

Andie hissed in pain as she was abruptly pulled towards the door, with a heavy backpack and injured body. Ellie didn't fail to notice it, but she really hadn't time to think about accommodating the younger girl to comfort.

Just as they both took their first steps on the long corridor, the ceiling completely gave out in the room they were in previously, letting some dim moonlight into the facility. Andie looked back, gazing outside at the full moon, just as if the time had frozen for a second.

But that second didn't last long. As a falling piece flew just in front of her face where she was just a moment ago, Andie was brought back to the harsh reality. She looked back in front of her, at Ellie who was pushing in between falling dust and pieces. Her face was scrunched, in deep focus. Her eyes were scanning over for a way to the stairs, in matters of seconds.

It was very obvious now that Ellie was so much more experienced in surviving in harsh environments and finding her way to safety. She looked so enchanting as the world was literally falling apart around her.

The both girls quickly reached a staircase and started descending quickly, two or even three steps at a time. Andie's mind was now solely focused on trying not to trip and bring Ellie down with her, falling to the ground floor. Due to the adrenaline, she was feeling almost nothing but the fear of letting her companion down and possibly killing them both.

As they reached the bottom, the sight unraveling horrified both of them, while they were standing frozen in shock. A giant hoard of infected, with deadly stomps of probably around three bloaters could be heard and seen from around a few miles away. The mortifying screeches filling their ears were enough to give them nightmares for the next couple days.

Ellie quickly looked to her right, hoping to get out through the exit she came in, but giant stones and parts of the ceiling crushed and blocked the entrance completely. Andie's gaze soon followed, and then went back, only to find Ellie already looking at her with a frightened look in her face.

"Fuck! What do we do?" Andie panicked, gripping Ellie's hand even harder than she already did, nearly cutting off the blood flow from going to her fingers. Ellie didn't respond. Instead, she turned back and pulled the injured girl to a room nearby.

All the windows were barricaded by planks that were drilled over them. Ellie let go of the shorter girl's hand and trotted over to a big metal closet. She pushed it over the door, not struggling to do so. And that was not a good sign. The closet was practically empty, and it would not hold so many creatures pushing at it all at once.

She knew she couldn't say anything to the other girl. She seemed very lost and fragile. Telling her that would only scare her. Ellie would rather have her think that she was just so strong, and that's why she didn't struggle pushing the metal storage.