✯ chapter thirteen

『 ↝ inching tension ↜ 』

~ ✯ ~

IT'S BEEN ALMOST TWO WEEKS, since Ellie and Andie agreed on their companionship. Thirteen days to be exact. At first they really didn't say much. They mildly enjoyed each others presence in silence, and only spoke if it was truly necessary.

Andie didn't mind. Yeah, she would have liked to befriend Ellie sooner, but their mutual agreement to never speak of things private, that was never actually said, but more like floated in the air surrounding them, was understandable. And it was relieving. She didn't want Ellie to start interrogating her on her past, only to find out they've been coexisting close to each other much longer than thirteen days.

Seven days after the incident, was when Ellie started beginning small conversations. Nothing personal. More like, 'what are your hobbies?' Or 'got any hidden talents?' type of questions. When Andie asked those questions back out of politeness, she hadn't heard anything she didn't know before. Except for one thing.

She was pleasantly surprised to find out Ellie particularly enjoyed all things space related. And even though Andie was stoked that they had an interest in common she'd just answer with a 'Oh cool! Me too!', and end it at that.

So throughout the next six days leading up to the present times, they have really been getting closer. Not enough to call each other friends, no. More like this occasional acquaintance that's you'd wave to at school but never really speak to. But that was more progress with her crush than she ever achieved in the past couple years, so Andie didn't mind.

She did have to admit that she tried to push her feelings back on several occasions. The reasons varied. One time, all the way back in Jackson, it was because she got too drained watching her and Cat mingle in their mouths for ten minutes straight behind the Tipsy Bison.

She couldn't do anything but watch it, since she was talking with Mr. Whitlock, the nice bartender, and she couldn't just walk away.

The other time was when she saw a real pretty girl pass through Jackson once. Andie convinced herself that was the one that would help her forget her long passing crush. She even spoke to her once or twice. That's when she found out that the girl assisted someone on patrol and died a violent death, being ripped apart.

So Andie with horror, attached herself to Ellie even more. She sought comfort in her presence. She knew she was strong and this would never happen to her. Or that's what she would prefer to believe. Ellie was very masculine. It was hot. And cool.

So now was the third time. This time it was because Andie realised that it's unethical to have a crush on Ellie. Specifically because she had a girlfriend. The reason that pushed her over the edge, to go on a hunt to find her sister.

Dina was still in Jackson, probably waiting for Ellie with open arms. Wondering about it then, she had no idea why Dina didn't come along with her. But she couldn't ask. As far as Ellie knew, Andie had no idea about who Dina was. Oh but she did. And she hated that she did.

Because now she felt guilty. She felt guilty for liking Ellie all those years, and especially now. She knew it was pointless. They would never be together. Not in her wildest dreams. So now she was struggling with raw emotions eating her from inside to out. And it wasn't pretty. She was crumbling, but couldn't let anything show, because she was right next to the cause, Ellie Williams.