✫ chapter six

『 ↝ into the unknown ↜ 』

~ ✫ ~

THE DAY AFTER THAT WAS GLOOMY. Andie couldn't get a wink of sleep. Everyone knew what was coming next. Instead of even trying to get some rest, the 18-year old girl simply sat up on her bed and looked through the window, at the moon that was lightly covered in rain-clouds.

The assistance of the stumbling of heavy raindrops that could be heard in the roof and seen on the windows was not cheering Andie up. It was the opposite. She was feeling bereaved and melancholic.

She didn't let anyone inside of her room that day. Not even Lance. She needed to cry this one out. However, what Lance was too fearful to even think about, was slowly becoming reality.

"Don't go." 

The only words Lance could whisper out through the thin door, wishing and praying that Andie would reconsider what was inevitably going through her mind.

~ ✫ ~

For Andie that insisted that she needed a walk to calm down, everything seemed to happen in slow-motion. The seconds felt like minutes, minutes like hours, hours like full days. It was like people were walking and talking excruciatingly slow. It was like all sound waves that traveled to one ear, just fell out the other one.

It has gotten so bad, that even when she went to get a refreshing apple juice at the tavern, the nice Mr. Whitlock noticed something was very off about the young girl.

She seemed like she was listening to his stories about what airports looked like and how they functioned pre-outbreak, but whenever she was asked a question about what she thought about it, she'd answer with a 'yes' or nothing at all.

Usually her more timid and enthusiastic persona would have loved to listen about how some airplanes had sets of 3 seats on each side, some 3 on both sides with a row of 4 in the middle and some even had a second floor!

But not today. Today she was just like the weather. Gloomy and melancholic.

When she encountered Ellie a few hours prior, while heading to the tavern to clear her head, she almost wanted to turn on her heels and walk straight back home. She wouldn't be able to gaze at her former-crush for hours and fantasise like she used to just a few days before.

It was as if something inside of her had snapped. That one thread that held her entire life together had been too worn out and simply broke in half. That thread being probably Ellie.

With the assistance of Abby in the back of her mind she was completely going crazy. However with each passing minute she was more and more sure of her decision.

Andie exited the tavern, leaving an upset bartender back in the booth where she used to sit just a few minutes ago, and she headed to a secluded alleyway, filled with storage, wooden boxes and a stray cat that ran out the moment she entered.

She pressed her back against the wall of someone's house, and slid down as she no longer had any energy to keep herself standing up. She hugged her knees together and closed her eyes shut tightly. She hung her head and let out a short weep.