✩ chapter five

『 ↝ adolescent heartbreaks ↜ 』

~ ✩ ~

FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS, Lance was paying very close attention to her best friend. She needed to make sure she didn't think about sneaking out of the house and going out there in the world. She couldn't afford to lose her. She would to anything to stop her.

Meanwhile Andie grew a bit distant to everyone. Her head was busier than ever. All she could think about was the letter from her sister. She was yet to write a response letter, because something in the back of her mind was telling her that Abby would be disappointed if she didn't visit her.

Andie would zone out more than she ever did before and her mind was no longer as occupied with Ellie as it used to be. She kept getting distracted and kept tripping over things which gave her more bruises than ever. And Lance did not in fact like that.

However Andie wasn't the only one who was acting strangely. Ellie also was. She was happier than before and she had this giddy face expression almost all the time. And that worried Andie. Of course she was happy that Ellie was, but if was getting to a very suspicious point.

~ ✩ ~

Lance and Andie were currently on their way to the town storage. A week has passed since she's gotten the letter, and auntie didn't trust her enough to send her alone, so she asked Lance to go with her.

It was getting late, winter incoming, days getting shorter. Lance proposed they should rush so that it doesn't close before they could get there, but Andie didn't feel like it.

For the past few days her head has just been in the clouds. She wasn't depressed, no. But she was definitely feeling something. She had a dilemma and it was driving her crazy. She desperately wanted to stay, for Lance, for Ellie, even for her own health. But this pesky thought lingering in the back of her mind would not let her sleep.

She knew she had to do something to stop herself from breaking down and figuratively exploding from the storm that was happening inside her. Not everyday do you get a letter from a long lost relative that suddenly wants to meet up. This could change everything. Literally.

Maybe she'd never go back to Jackson again, and maybe her sister would turn out to simply be a bitch. She did get raised by her father who abandoned her a few-month pregnant mother. From what she was told, Andie knew that her father was strong and unafraid of the horrifying world, but also kind and caring.

Andie was sure that Abby was just like that. She imagined her as a strong, brave woman setting her intentions straight and paving the way for not only herself, but also 'her people'. 

But maybe because she was like that, her mind was convincing her that she's better than everyone. What if she belittled her own sister and all her friends.

But what if it was all not true? What if she took after her mother and was a small fragile girl afraid of the world? It was all too much for Andie.

To be realistic, Andie knew that she wouldn't survive long out there. It was just like Lance said. She's never killed another human being before. She was the fragile little girl, not her sister. She cursed her mother for being like that, but at the same time she was aware that she couldn't help it.