Chapter 75

I'm real sorry, but there's not much going on in this chapter. But I've been through the things that I felt were needed for it, and I just wanted to get this bit out.

In the next couple chapters, however, we will be returning to the fluff and the smut and the lovey dovey. But also, prepare yourselves - for alas, the story is headed towards the end. 

**********

It felt like it took years to sign all the discharge papers for the hospital. And then there was the whole deal of making appointments with the trauma psychologist. We were nearly by the exit when a tall woman with dark braided hair came walking towards us, ehr face steely and calm.

Allen stopped and put his hand on the small on my back, waiting as the woman approached. Her eyes shifted between us as a calm smile appeared on her face. "Alpha Allen, hello again. And hello, Paige. I'm very pleased to meet you, and even more relived to know that you've returned back to your mate, safe and sound as you ought."

Allen smiled down at me, gesturing to the woman before us. "This is Alpha Siksikawa. She provided people who helped to locate you."

"Oh, uh, pleased to meet you."

She grinned, handing me a bouquet of flowers that I hadn't even noticed 'til now. "Likewise, Paige. I actually came to visit you, now that I'd gotten word that you were awake. But seems you're in a hurry to get out?"

I smiled. "I just want to go home to relax."

"Ah, totally understandable. However, I was wondering if I might be allowed to borrow your mate for a little while?"

I bit the inside of my cheek, my stomach feeling a little heavy. I just wanted to get home as quickly as possible. Allen barely glanced at me, before he asked Alpha Siksikawa, "Can it wait, perhaps? So we could talk about this over the phone."

She sighed. "I'm sorry, Alpha Allen, but I really need it to be now. It won't be long, I promise. Perhaps, Paige, you could just go wait in your car? Then you can be right out of here as soon as we're done speaking." She smiled at me softly.

I felt the smile and color draining from my face. "No, I... I'll just wait here." I looked at Allen. "It's okay, really. You guys talk. Just don't go too far, right?"

Allen's eyebrows furrowed with concern, and he gave my hand a quick squeeze, before gesturing to some chair behind me. "Have a sit. I'll be back in a bit, kay?"

I went and took a seat at the chairs in the waiting room, those benches that just have armrests to separate the seats, watching as Allen and Alpha Siksikawa withdrew to a corner in the front hall. My eyes only lingered on them for a moment, before they began moving all over. The doors, where people were coming and going. Hospital staff walking around in scrubs and white coats. Unease swirled in my stomach, and I wrapped my arms around myself.

My eyes continued shifting between Allen and the exit door. I licked my lip, trying my best to take a deep breath. A man with blonde hair and a beard, just like Alpha Charles, walked in through the doors.

My entire body tightened. His face was different from Alpha Charles's. Very different. I breathed deeply in through my nose, exhaling slowly through my mouth. My fingernails dug into my jeans.

The man was looking at his phone as he walked closer and closer to me. My toes and fingers curled as hard as they could, my hands shaking in my lap.

It was like slow motion when I watched him take a seat in the spot on the bench right next to me, his eyes still on his phone. My breath was quivering, my body hyper-aware of his presence right next to me. But he sat entirely still. I'm not even sure he'd even noticed that I was there.