Chapter 8

When I opened my eyes the next morning, my head felt heavy, well, my entire body felt like it was being weighed down with boulders. I vaguely remembered the nurses shoving something into my IV the night before, telling me it would 'help me sleep despite the pain'.

The sound of a muted groan made me sit up, turning my head the left. And right there next to my hospital bed, was Alpha Allen, sleeping on a small fold-out bed with blue sheets.

I swallowed hard. The thought of him having slept right next to me all night made the hairs on my arms raise. But soon enough that uncomfortable feeling was replaced by another one. Bathroom.

I gritted my teeth as I turned around, my ribs disagreeing profusely. I put my right hand around the IV pole, using it for support as I stood up. A small tug on my finger made me look down, and unthinkingly, I removed the clip on my index finger.

The heart monitor went crazy, a loud alarm beginning. I reached back for the clip as fast as I could, my legs giving under beneath me, now that I didn't have the IV line for support. A strangled yelp left me when I landed on my side, the entire right side of my body screaming in pain.

The only thing I felt, besides the pain, was something touching my head. The sides of my head, stroking my hair, touching my cheek. I gasped for breath, the pain coursing through my entire body, making it impossible to think. I felt tears on my cheeks, and not long after I felt other hands all around me. Some on my side, another one on my head, a few more on my hand. That also felt weird ... wet. And warm. As if someone was pouring warm water over it.

My weight disappeared underneath me, and I was laid down on something soft- probably the bed. I heard voices, they weren't loud, just rushed, panicked. Except one, one was mad, and also became loud as seconds went by. Something tugged on the top of my left hand, and I felt my face grimace at the feeling.

Seconds later, relief flooded through my body as the pain numbed, the voices becoming clear again.

"... ow exactly is it my fault Alpha Allen that you can't seem to keep your mate in place, huh? This is the second time she's gotten hurt trying to escape you, within two days- was the first time my fault too? Was it?"

A hellish roar made the room go quiet, Actually, for a second I was quite sure the entire world shut up. I sobbed at the sound- it was terrifying.

"You better watch your mouth, doctor Lancaster, I have already informed your coworker of the consequences of defying and disrespecting me, don't think for even a second it doesn't apply to you as well,"

The doctor didn't answer - or at least I didn't hear it if he did.

I heard footsteps, and a door opening and closing, and then the room was quiet again.

He touched my face gently, nuzzling my cheek, occasionally stroking my hair. I don't know how long I just laid there, feeling him soothe me. He broke the silence first. "Are you alright, love?"

"I'm ... not really no," I whispered, my drugged brain not giving me an opportunity to think through my words.

"Love, I know you're in pain but..." His voice cracked at the end, and I heard him take a few more deep breaths. I didn't' even bother opening my eyes. "But I have to ask you, why did you try to run away again?" he whispered, pain so evident in his voice that I could barely imagine what his face must be looking like right now.

"I didn't try to... run. I ... needed bathroom..." the words muddled together when they left my lips, even though I had a 5-minute long explanation as to why he shouldn't kill me.

I sighed, taking my hand and rubbing it softly with his thumb. "Love, why didn't you just wake me? I told you yesterday that I'd help you when you needed to use the bathroom, or needed help with anything else,"