21 - 𝘌𝘱𝘪𝘱𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘺

*MATTHEO'S POV*

Someone once told me, the most important thing a man should know, is what he would die for. Well for me, I would die for her, for Emma. She owes me nothing, I owe her everything, so I gave her my life.

I take a Crucio for her and I feel like that isn't enough. I drop to the floor almost instantly. The two death eaters holding onto Emma release her and she kneels down next to me.

The pain spreads fast, I try not to make it noticeable, I don't want her to feel bad. She's so beautiful staring down at me, I've never seen someone as gorgeous as her, just looking at her makes the suffering bearable.

We do terrible things for the people we love but it is all worth it in the end. We don't chose who we love but rather our souls choose for us, so I guess she is half of my soul, as the poets say.

Her tears fall down onto my chest, which breaks my heart. "Don't worry Mattheo it's going to be over soon, all of it" she says between sniffles. I chuckle slightly as I'm usually the one to comfort her.

The ache in my body grows as I start to become weaker by the second, Emma becomes aware of this and the worry on her face is even more noticeable.

I try to talk but it's all too painful. Her sobs get even louder as my eyes start to close. I'm so tired. This feels like torture. At least she's here. She's the only thing keeping me awake and alive right now but I don't think I can hold out much longer.

"Thank you Emma, thank you for teaching me the meaning of true love, and being a part of my life, I would have loved you better if we had more time, forgive me, for everything" it takes everything in me to get that out. "I love you Mattheo please don't say that" she whispers.

I love you, it's the first time she has ever said those words to me. I wish I could hug her, I wish I could kiss her and not being able to do that kills me inside.

I can't help shutting my eyes, I try not to but it's impossible. I don't want to die. I want to live a life with Emma, get married, have kids, grow old. I hope we can do that in another life.

My body slowly starts becoming weak and memories flash before my eyes. Emma and I, the story of us, everything we've been through.

In these few seconds, I dream of some epiphany, something that can fix all of this, make it the way is was before. I'm not that dumb, I know that only happens in the movies.

I go completely limp and the last thing I hear is "MATTHEO! NO NO NO YOU CAN'T BE GONE!"

I am so sorry princess, I never meant for this to happen. I died, but at least I died knowing I saved the girl I love.

If I knew a few years back what would happen today, I would have acted completely differently, I wish I did. I go to the grave with that regret lingering on me, forever.