Chapter 27 | Hero Licenses: Part 3

The first thing Nightmare saw when he reached the base of the Mountain zone was that the top was covered in pink fog, slowly creeping closer to the bottom. The second thing he noticed was C.C making his way closer to the top, the faint sound of his wings flapping alerting the animatronic of his location. Using the shadows that the cliffs cast to his advantage, he quickly scaled the rocky surface, catching up to C.C in a matter of minutes. 

C.C jolts when Nightmare appears next to him.

"Bloody- don't scare me like that!"

"Apologies, I did not want to alert anyone of my location so I refrained from making noise."

The shorter sighs. "With you scaring me for as long as you did, I ask myself how I still get surprised by anything at this point."

"I would say that surprise is still a valid reaction in some cases, like this one."

"I guess so."

They continue to scale the mountain in silence, stopping at the edge of the pink fog. 

"So... do you think I can just charge in?" C.C asks, flapping his wings a few times to push the fog back.

"I would advise you not to. While you do not necessarily need to breathe as you are dead, I know you continue doing so as a habit, and I do not trust that you would not take a breath at some point inside... no offense."

"None taken. So what about you?"

"I do not have lungs, so it should not be a problem." 

"Alright then- wait WHAT?!"

Nightmare was already getting into position to launch himself forward. "I do not have lungs, or most organs. While I have a human figure, I am still primarily an animatronic. Ah... speaking of which, I have a few things I would like to speak to you about after we finish this activity."

"...Sure? You can talk to me about anything, Nightmare. But putting that aside, should I head to the last zone now?"

"No. May I request that you lend me your assistance from above? Midnight would not be able to damage me much, but I assume she's trying to waste our time instead."

"Got it, I can tell you where to go, but it would expose the fact that we're here."

"That is fine."

"Let's do this then!"

The two split up, C.C launching himself upwards while the nightmare animatronic sprinted into the fog. 

The pink smoke quickly became much denser as he continued forward, making it hard for Nightmare to see even 2 paces in front of him. However, with C.C's voice yelling out directions every few feet, it wasn't long before he made his way to the top of the mountain. 

Nightmare's footsteps had always been near silent even without him making them that way, but he purposely made as little sound as possible to not give out any hints of his location. C.C's location had already been compromised, but the animatronic didn't think that the 'villain' had any way of reaching the boy. 

Suddenly hearing a light set of footsteps behind him, he froze in place. Midnight could use the smoke as cover, but Nightmare doubted that she could see much better than he could. There was nothing at first, only the swaying of leaves ever once in a while. Where the wind came from, he had no clue- but then...

There!

Once again hearing the crunch of gravel underfoot, he launched himself to the left, barreling straight into Midnight, who let out a yelp as they both went tumbling. Taking out his last pair of handcuffs, he slapped them over her wrists, letting out a small sigh as she immediately went limp underneath him.