|13.1| Pyrokinesis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you gonna bite me?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Jake," Raejin nudged his shoulder. "Yea, what's up?"

"After school today, do you wanna hang out? I haven't really hung out with you that much" She blushed a bit, being embarrassed of how she asked. It was ok though, because seeing how flustered Jake got was worth it.

"Like...just us two? Together?" His cheeks flushed more red than hers, forcing her to crack a smile.

"Yea, we could go for a walk or something, it'll be fun!"

"Ok, I know a nice spot, we should go there! We should change out of our uniforms though, so I'll meet you at your house after" He smiled at her and she nodded, trying to hide how red her cheeks were getting.

...

"Wow, it looks pretty with all the colorful leaves" Raejin stared in awe at all the leaves that decorated the trees and the ground, while Jake stood there hiding his smile.

"It's nice, right? I come around here often, it's so peaceful" He started walking into the woods, with Raejin trailing closely behind him.

"Mhm..." She hummed quietly, focusing on everything around her. Jake slowed his pace, waiting for Raejin to catch up to him. When she finally did, he intertwined their fingers and kept walking as if nothing happened.

To say they were both blushing was an understatement. Raejin couldn't focus on anything except for Jake's cold hands, which were huge compared to her own. Jake could only focus on her small hands that fit so perfectly in his own, so soft and so warm.

"Jake?" Raejin broke the comfortable silence that had taken over them. Jake looked at her and gave her a small smile, signaling her to continue.

"Why do you always flirt with me?" Jake halted his steps for a second, then kept walking.

"I don't know, it just feels natural when it comes to you. Like it's so easy and I enjoy it," He smirked and looked at the blushing girl, who was trying to suppress her grin.

"Now I have a question for you" He said in a teasing tone. "Why do you always flirt back?"

"It just feels right, you know?" She answered, trying to prevent the red shade on her cheeks from deepening, only to fail miserably.

"You look cute when you blush," Jake smiled. Raejin put her free hand over her face to cover it, not wanting Jake to see her like this.

"Stop, it isn't funny" She complained, but Jake just laughed at her reaction.

"Look up here, there's a clearing" He pointed ahead of them and started walking a bit faster. They finally reached the clearing, which was basically just dry grass and not as much leaves. It was really empty, but the way the sun was barely shining its orange and pink light through the surrounding trees brought a smile to Raejins face.

"How did you know about this place? It's so pretty at sunset"

"I don't know, I guess I just found it one day" He shrugged. Raejin nodded and kept walking around the empty space, becoming more and more familiar with the area.

"It's getting darker and cold, we should start a fire," Raejin suggested. Jake nodded and they both started collecting sticks and dried leaves for the fire.

Once they figured they had enough, they put the sticks in a pile in the middle of the clearing.

"Do you have a lighter?" Raejin asked. Jake knew he didn't, but he acted like he was checking his pockets anyway. "No, do you?"

"No...We should just keep walking then" Raejin started walking away, but Jake had a better idea. While she had her back turned he used his hands and set the sticks on fire, smiling at the tiny flame.

"Oh, you found a light- Why the fuck are your hands on fire?!" She practically screamed, running over to Jake and grabbing his hands. "Are you ok?!"

"Yea, I'm fine, it's really nothing" He lied, but it was obvious he wasn't telling the truth.

"Jake, what the hell? You were literally holding fire, and you're saying you're ok? What...What even was that?!"

"Raejin, listen...you're not gonna believe me when I tell you this..." He trailed off and she stood up from the ground, pulling him with her.

"Believe what?!"

"I'm...uhm" He scratched the back of his neck, hesitating. "I'm just not really sensitive to fire"

"Jake, that's such bullshit, you're a terrible liar. What actually was that?" She demanded. Jake was getting more and more nervous, not knowing what to say or do.

"Ok, ok...I'm sorry. Do you know what pyrokinesis is?"

"It's like fire manipulation or something, but what does that have to do with anything?"

"That's what you just saw," He confessed. Raejins face twisted in all sorts of confused-looking ways, before she finally came to a conclusion.

"So you're a superhero?!"

"What? No, I'm a vampire" His eyes widened once he realized what he had just said. He looked at Raejin whose eyes were wider than his. Her jaw was basically on the floor, he couldn't tell if she was scared or confused. Maybe both.

"You're a what?! Are you gonna bite me? Oh my god, Jake what the fuck?!"

"Ok, I know this sounds bad, but it's not just me!"

"What's that supposed to mean?!"

"All the others are too!"

"What?! Oh my god! What?!" She was in pure shock and started backing away from Jake, fearing that he was like the scary vampires in the movies. Or maybe he was like the hot ones she heard about.

"Raejin..."

"Oh my god...I'm going home!" She turned around and started running, but she tripped over a rock and fell, hitting her head and falling unconscious.

"Raejin!" Jake yelled, running over to her motionless body. He picked her up princess-style and started carrying her towards the house.

"Oh shit..." He mumbled, looking down at the poor girl. He knew it was his fault, and that made it worse. But he would be lying if he said she didn't look ethereal in his arms, with the first slivers of moonlight poking through the trees and brightening her pale face.

He quickly reached the shared house, struggling to open the door with the unconscious girl in his arms. He finally entered the home and looked around, trying to find anyone he could.

"Guys?!" He yelled, louder than he ever has to any of them. They all came rushing into the living room, stopping dead in their tracks as they saw the sight in front of them.

"I fucked up..."