Chapter 8

Becky's morning started off with feeding Bonbon, but she totally forgot to make breakfast for Freen. Later, when she remembered, she went to the kitchen and found Freen cooking and chatting with someone. Instead of eavesdropping like before, Becky chose not to listen in. She still felt hurt from the last time she overheard their conversation.

Freen noticed Becky looking at her, and just as Freen was about to ask what she wanted for breakfast, Becky walked away to check on Bonbon. Freen understood that Becky was really focused on taking care of Bonbon and didn't want to interrupt that. It was better this way than risking more awkwardness or causing any damage at home.

"So, I'll be back home next week. Any updates on Becky's family? She's been staying with you for a while now," Heng inquired.

Freen glanced at Becky and let out a sigh. "No, no one's come looking for her. She might not even be from around here. She kind of looks like a foreigner."

"Actually, she's British. Maybe I should reach out to my relatives in England and see if they know anything?" Heng suggested.

"Like they know every single person in England," Freen replied, rolling her eyes. "And you know, she's surprisingly familiar with our country's history. What if she's really from the past or something?"

On the other end of the line, Heng laughed. "You're really diving deep into this, Freen. Are you sure you don't want to just leave her somewhere and have a break from all this?"

Freen knew in her heart that she couldn't do that. She wasn't that cold-hearted, and besides, Becky was a kind girl. She was a quick learner and loved books just like Freen. There was definitely a connection, but Freen wasn't ready to let her stay permanently.

"I'll think about it more. But for now, keep trying to find her family. And if your relatives know anyone last named Armstrong, let me know," Freen said before ending the call and returning to her cooking.

Once the meal was ready, Freen set the table and called for Becky. Freen struggled with how to tell Becky that she might need to move somewhere else. After all, Becky hadn't fully recovered her memories yet.

But what if Freen just waited for Becky's memories to return before making any decisions? That could take a while, though.

"Are you alright?" Becky asked Freen when she noticed Freen wasn't eating. "You look a bit pale. Are you feeling sick?" she inquired, placing her hand on Freen's forehead.

Freen flinched slightly when their skin touched. It was strange, a sort of tingly feeling. Could it be that "spark" people talked about when soulmates touched? Nah, Freen didn't believe in that stuff. It was just fiction, right?

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just lost in thought," Freen sighed and managed a faint smile.

"Don't worry. I'll be in my room, super quiet so you won't even know I'm here," Becky reassured with a smile, continuing to eat.

"What do you mean?" Freen asked, intrigued.

"I've noticed you like your alone time, and lately, you haven't been able to have that. So, I'll be like a ghost – no noise, no hassle, just here," Becky explained.

Hearing this, Freen felt a pang of guilt. Maybe she had unintentionally made Becky feel unwelcome. But if she thought about it, Freen had been kind enough to let her stay, even though Becky was practically a stranger. Not everyone would do that, especially in this day and age.

"I'm okay with you being around," Freen confessed.

And it was true. Freen did enjoy having Becky's presence around. But there was a part of her that wished Becky could find her way back home. She must have a family who missed her. Freen didn't want Becky to go through what she had experienced with her own family.

"With Bonbon too?" Becky asked with a playful grin.

Freen chuckled. There was no way Becky would part with Bonbon.

"Of course, Bonbon too. So, while we're trying to find your family, you can stay here without feeling like you owe us. Just keep things quiet. I can't stand too much noise," Freen said, ruffling Becky's hair.

Becky scooped up Bonbon and gave her a tight hug. "Did you hear that, Bonbon? Auntie Freen said we can stay. We'll help her out in return."

Seeing Becky's adorable enthusiasm, Freen laughed. She knew that if Becky ever found her way back home, she would definitely miss her.