Chapter 20

Freen drove Becky home, tending to her wounds carefully. Becky stayed quiet during the ride, still upset about not talking to the girl she'd been searching for. What if that girl knew something about the mysterious capsule? After all, she was from Becky's past. But seeing her again had left Becky feeling strangely hurt.

"Do you remember her name? I can ask Heng to help us find her," Freen suggested.

Becky remained silent as memories flooded her mind—scenes of their past and how that girl had broken her heart.

"I was in love with her," Becky finally admitted, her gaze fixed on one spot without blinking. "I don't know what she did, but seeing her made my heart ache."

"Maybe you're missing her?" Freen asked gently as she applied a band-aid to Becky's wound.

"No," Becky shook her head. "It felt like she betrayed me somehow, but I can't figure out how or why."

Freen listened attentively, eager to understand the connection between Becky and the girl and why Becky had gone to such lengths to find her, even getting hurt in the process.

"I loved her so much," Becky whispered, and Freen's heart ached in response.

Freen shouldn't have felt this way. After everything they'd been through, she couldn't help but be hurt by Becky's words. She had helped Becky, taught her, and cared for her—wasn't that enough?

Yet Becky was struggling with memory loss. Freen wondered if Becky meant everything she'd said before: "if that someone is you," "I love you," "I liked being under you," and "I thought I'd be forever your baby." Freen missed hearing those words from Becky.

"I'll help you find her," Freen said with a heavy heart. She knew this decision would be painful, but she would do it for Becky's sake and to help her find her way home.

Freen hadn't expected to become the bridge between these lovers. She'd always thought she was the main character, but it seemed that Becky had transformed her into a character who had to grow. She was hurt, but she had chosen this path.

"I'm sorry, Freen. I told you I'd just be a burden," Becky said, lowering her head.

"It's okay. If you hadn't come, you wouldn't have seen the girl in your dreams. Do you want to go to the mall so you can see her again? What if this time she shows up?" Freen asked, unsure if her suggestion would help.

"She came to your book signing, Freen. If you're not there, she won't come," Becky replied with a sigh. "But it's okay. I'll find her once I'm more familiar with the place."

"Are you sure?" Freen asked.

"Hm," Becky smiled faintly. "Thanks for today. I'm going to rest."

Becky headed to her room and swallowed the lump in her throat. How could she tell Freen that the girl she was searching for seemed to admire Freen? What if that girl had forgotten about Becky and fallen in love with Freen's books? What if she had feelings for Freen?

"It's impossible. Freen has only shown herself once in public. That girl wouldn't fall for her immediately," Becky told herself, trying to dismiss the thought.

She decided to ignore the thoughts flooding her as she opened her drawer and retrieved the notebook she'd hidden there.

Freen's Journal.