Chapter 12

"Hey, aren't you gonna give me a warm welcome?" Heng grinned as soon as Freen opened the door of her apartment, arms crossed. "Why the gloomy face? Aren't you excited to see me?"

"Why should I be excited to see someone who looks like you?" Freen shot back, heading to the living room with Heng trailing behind.

Becky was busy cooking, a cheerful tune escaping her lips. Heng couldn't help but smile at her delightful melody. It was as if she was singing just for him.

"Keep staring at her like that and I might just pluck your eyes out," Freen warned.

Heng chuckled, sticking with Freen as they headed to her room. Freen's room was much bigger compared to Becky's, complete with a study and writing nook.

Freen handed Heng the manuscript she'd crafted that week – a romantic tale with Becky as the central character.

"Wow, Freen, this is something else. But it seems like you've got some real inspiration for this. Rebecca, huh?" Heng teased.

Freen had concluded that Becky's real name was Rebecca, similar to the Becky in Tom Sawyer, whose full name was Rebecca "Becky" Thatcher. Freen had penned a story about a guy falling for Becky without her realizing it. He was head over heels for her, even though she only saw him as a friend.

"So, what's the plan now? Should I take her home?" Heng questioned, shutting the manuscript after a thorough read. He gazed at Freen with a serious expression, sighing softly.

"Nah, Becky's not going anywhere," Freen declared. "I called you here to tell you that I'm gonna keep her until we locate her family."

"Why?" Heng chuckled. "Don't you usually prefer being alone?"

"I'd rather have her company than send her over to your place, especially the way you look at her," Freen deadpanned, averting her gaze. "You can leave now."

"What's gotten into you today? Weren't you bugging me last week to get Becky out of your hair because you wanted solitude?" Heng quizzed. "Don't tell me you've developed a liking for her."

"None of your business, Heng." Freen pointed at the manuscript. "That's your business, and that's why you're here. Got it? Now, you can go."

Heng furrowed his brows. "Then what about Becky's stories? You're not buying her tales, are you?"

"I can't believe something without proof, but it's up to me whether I choose to believe her or not," Freen stood up, signaling the end of their discussion.

Exiting the room, Heng and Freen found Becky bustling around, preparing breakfast. Heng greeted her, and she beamed at him, radiating cheerfulness – a sight that made Freen roll her eyes.

Freen didn't know why, but seeing Becky being so friendly with everyone ticked her off a bit. She wanted that attention for herself; she wanted Becky to be nice to her alone.

"Let's chow down. I've cooked up something yummy," Becky announced, motioning for them to take a seat.

Heng and Freen jostled over where to sit, each wanting to be beside Becky. Freen gestured for Heng to take the host seat, but he raised an eyebrow at her.

"You two can sit together," Becky said, settling into the host seat and digging in innocently.

The squabble between Heng and Freen persisted. Anything Heng reached for, Freen snatched it and dumped it onto her plate.

"Freen, are you starving?" Becky inquired upon seeing all the food she had cooked piled onto Freen's plate. "Do you want me to whip up something for you?"

Before Heng could respond, Freen stood and ushered him out.

"He's heading out. He just swung by for the manuscript," Freen informed, closing the door behind Heng.

Upon returning, Freen was met with a stern look from Becky.

"Why?" Freen inquired innocently.

"Why?" Becky scoffed. "Your boss came to eat. You should be a bit nicer."

Guilt pricked at Freen. Why was she acting this way? Was it because Becky was so friendly with him that she felt envious? Why the envy? Freen lowered her head.

"It's all good. Let's eat," Becky said, reaching for Freen's hand and guiding her back to the table. Becky fed Freen, who remained silent post the scolding.

Yet, her silence wasn't due to the scolding; it was because she realized she had no right to be jealous. She didn't possess Becky, and she had no say in who Becky chose to be kind to.

"Becky…" Freen called out.

"Hmm?" Becky met her gaze.

"If someone told you they wanted to be with you, what would you do? Would you go with them?" Freen asked.

Becky chuckled. "It depends."

"On what?" Freen inquired further.

"If that someone is you."