Chapter 21

The following day, Becky stayed holed up in her room. Freen gave her some space, thinking she was likely heartbroken over what she had discovered. Freen spent her time feeding Bonbon, their pet, and chatting with him to ease her boredom.

"Your mom hasn't been eating breakfast lately. Are you concerned too?" Freen asked as she stroked Bonbon's fur. "I'm not sure what to do anymore."

Suddenly, Freen's phone buzzed, pulling her out of her thoughts. She glanced at the caller ID and sighed before answering.

"Yeah?" she said to the person on the other end.

"Lots of fans are asking for a book signing event, round two. Are you up for it?" Heng inquired.

This was a dilemma. Becky had expressed an interest in finding the girl who attended her previous book signing, but Freen wasn't ready for Becky to leave just yet. If she agreed and that girl showed up, Becky would undoubtedly go after her – and Freen didn't want that to happen so soon. She wanted Becky to stick around a bit longer.

"I'm pretty exhausted. Can we postpone it to next month?" Freen asked, her gaze drifting towards Becky's closed door.

"I understand, but you sound troubled. Is something bothering you?" Heng probed.

Freen sat down on the couch and nibbled her lower lip. She needed advice, but she couldn't reveal that it was for herself. Since she had no close friends, Heng would be suspicious.

"I'm working on a story, and I'm not sure what to do. Can I get your input?" Freen asked, massaging her temple.

"Of course, what's the issue?"

"The male lead in the story refuses to let go of the female lead, even though he knows where she'd find happiness. Is that acceptable?" Freen inquired.

"That's intriguing, Freen. But will the male lead eventually make the female lead happy? It could be toxic if he keeps her without doing anything to ensure her happiness," Heng suggested.

"He's willing to do whatever it takes to make her happy, and he's prepared to let her go, but not just yet," Freen replied, biting her lower lip.

"Alright, so the male lead loves the female lead deeply, but he isn't the source of her happiness? So, even though he knows this, he still can't bring himself to let her go just yet because he loves her?" Heng clarified. "Is that the gist of it?"

"Yes," Freen nodded.

"But I believe that if you truly love someone, you'd let them go for their happiness. Love should be selfless," Heng commented. "But it's just fiction, Freen. Write what feels right to you."

"Wait," Freen said. "What's the best course of action for the male lead so he doesn't hurt the female lead?"

"Even if it means hurting himself?" Heng asked.

"Yes, even if it means hurting himself," Freen replied, her head lowered. She could feel the pain resurfacing; she knew where this was heading.

"He has to let her go. If he genuinely loves her, he'll release her and allow her to be happy with someone she truly loves. Because a person won't grow if you keep them in the shadows. If he's not the light, nothing good will come of it. They'll both end up hurt," Heng explained.

Freen understood. Becky needed to meet that girl. She needed to find her own happiness before it was too late. Freen didn't want to take that away from her.

"Thank you," Freen murmured and hung up.

She glanced at Becky's door once more and swallowed the lump in her throat. It might be painful, but it was the right thing to do. Freen knew deep down what she felt for Becky, but her feelings didn't matter now, especially with the true main character entering the picture.

"Now, show me how to unlove you, so I can let you go gracefully," Freen whispered with a bitter smile.

She hadn't intended to fall in love, and for the first time in ages, Freen had, but sadly, it was with someone she could never have.

Timeless || FreenBecky [Completed]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें