Chapter 33

"Is this really the capsule?" Becky asked as soon as she laid eyes on the massive glass cylinder, big enough for a person to fit inside. "Are you sure it's still working?"

Friend shook her head. "I can't be certain if it still works, but I can give it a shot for you."

"How did you even find out about this thing?" Becky inquired.

"Richie tricked me," Friend explained. "You remember how much he despised me after I left you, right? Well, he built this capsule and told me I'd see a different future if I chose you over the man I married. But the thing is, I already had a baby, Becky. I was just trying to protect her. So, reluctantly, I followed Richie's orders, learned how to operate the capsule. But Richie eventually discovered my secret and ordered someone to harm my baby," Friend sighed.

"And then what happened?"

"I took my first trip in the capsule and saw that Richie had become the top scientist in Siam. He invented all sorts of tracking devices to find me. He truly hated me and wanted me gone," Friend's eyes welled up. "In his twisted mind, he believed that our families were sworn enemies and that only the strongest should survive. This dark oath still haunts us to this day."

"But how did Freen exist in this generation?" Becky asked.

"I traveled back in time to a point before Richie learned about my baby. I hid her away and left her there. After that, I never returned to that time," Friend smiled faintly. "I thought it was a good solution, but there were consequences."

"Consequences of not going back?" Becky inquired.

Friend nodded and raised her shirt to reveal her bruised body.

"Staying in the past would have allowed us to live longer. But I made the choice to stay here instead, fearing that Richie might discover my secret and I'd meet a grim fate. So I'd rather face a slow demise here than let Freen vanish without experiencing the world."

"But how did Freen survive? If my family was bent on eliminating yours, how did she make it?" Becky was curious.

"I saved her. I tried to save the whole family, but I was too late. So I grabbed Freen and told Heng that I had found her somewhere. Freen couldn't remember anything due to the explosion and the trauma she endured. I wanted to reveal the truth and let her know that I'm her family, but she would never have believed me," Friend chuckled. "Please, when you return, don't tell your brother about this. I know you've grown fond of Freen. When you're back, act as if you never saw me. Do this for Freen's sake, please, Becky," she pleaded.

"I want to change the future, Friend. I want Freen to have a happy life, to grow up with a loving family. After reading her journal, I cried all night knowing that she became the way she is because of a tragedy, and the shocking part is that my family is responsible," Becky's tears flowed. "I'll help you live. It's my fault, after all. If I had told my brother that I didn't love you anymore and forgave you, maybe he wouldn't have done it. You can have a peaceful, happy life. And Freen will too, right?"

Friend sniffled and nodded. "I'm sorry for not telling you sooner. Perhaps, none of this would have happened if I had."

"It's okay," Becky said, smiling as she wiped away Friend's tears. "If you had told me earlier, I might never have met Freen. She's an amazing young girl who deserves all the happiness in the world."

"Okay, I'll come with you. Let's fix this together," Friend said, reaching for Becky's hand.

"But let me say goodbye to Freen first," Becky sighed.

"By the way, Becky," Friend called out. "If we change the future, Freen won't remember you. She won't remember that you two ever met. There won't be any traces of your presence in her life."

"It's alright," Becky smiled faintly. "I'm doing this for her. She deserves to know her family and have a normal life."