Chapter 22

"Freen?" Becky called out in the afternoon. She had just finished getting ready, feeling a bit self-conscious about her appearance. She didn't want Freen to see her like this. After all, she wasn't the owner of the house, and it could be embarrassing if she wasn't contributing.

Freen looked up and smiled brightly at Becky. "Are you feeling better now?"

Becky smiled back and nodded. Freen motioned for her to join her for a snack. She had whipped up some pancakes and popcorn, and they were set to watch a movie together.

Becky couldn't help but feel puzzled by Freen's behavior. She remembered reading in her journal that Freen disliked watching movies and preferred being alone. Freen was known to be a loner, but now she seemed to be enjoying their time together. Was Becky an exception?

"Freen, I won't stay much longer. I don't want to bother you," Becky whispered while they watched the movie.

Freen glanced at her, unfazed. "You're not bothering me at all."

Becky furrowed her brow, perplexed. "But I thought you liked being alone."

Freen continued munching on popcorn, then turned to Becky with a determined look. "With you, I don't mind spending time with someone, whether it's a day, a week, a month, or even a year. As long as it's you, I'm fine."

Becky was taken aback by Freen's sincerity. Her expression seemed almost shy, as if she was reluctant to admit her feelings to Becky.

"Are you sure?" Becky asked, trying to tease. "Well then, I guess I won't leave."

Freen gazed at her seriously. "Then promise me you won't leave me forever. Can you do that?"

Becky was caught off guard by Freen's question. She couldn't make that promise. She wasn't from this world, and she had her own timeline to return to. She couldn't commit to something she couldn't fulfill.

"You know the answer, Freen," Becky replied awkwardly, shifting her attention back to the movie.

However, Freen gently held Becky's chin and turned her face to look directly into her eyes. There was an intensity in Freen's gaze, as if she was silently pleading with Becky to stay. Her eyes spoke volumes, but Becky couldn't quite decipher their message.

"I have a favor to ask," Freen said softly. Becky nodded, willing to listen. "Could you try to forget about her for just one week? Spend that time with me somewhere, and after that, I promise I'll help you find her."

Becky was curious about Freen's motivation. "Why, Freen? You don't have to help me. I can do it on my own."

Freen insisted, "I'll help you, but in return, you have to stay with me. Please, Becky."

"I'll stay, even without the begging," Becky reassured her, placing her hand on Freen's cheek. She couldn't deny the attraction she felt towards Freen, and for now, she was willing to put aside her search for the other girl. She would focus on Freen first and then resume her quest to return to her own timeline.

Becky wanted to tell Freen that her primary goal was to use the other girl as a means to get back to her own timeline, not because she wanted to start anew with her. Becky hadn't forgotten what that girl had done—she had betrayed her. She didn't understand why she had followed her here, but maybe there was a deeper reason.

Freen muttered softly under her breath, "I love you," but Becky didn't hear it.

"What?" Becky asked, curious.

Freen shook her head. "It's nothing. Let's plan our getaway." She smiled and stood up, ready to prepare for their vacation together.