Chapter 17

"Why did you do that?" Freen asked Becky, taking a sip of her water.

They were in the dining area, which was connected to the kitchen. Freen was dressed in regular clothes, while Becky was wrapped in a robe.

"I already told you, it was too hot last night, so I took my clothes off," Becky pouted and looked away. She was trying hard to hold back tears, as Freen had been upset with her for some time now.

"But why did you do it? There was someone else in the room with you. Would you have done the same if it weren't me?" Freen scolded her again.

"I knew what I was doing, Freen. It was just you, so I didn't think it was a big deal. We're both girls, and there's nothing—" Becky was interrupted by Freen.

"Actually, there is something wrong with that, because I'm gay, Becky!" Freen raised her voice. "I'm attracted to girls. Do you get what I'm saying?"

It was difficult for Freen to admit this, but she needed to make Becky understand. Becky's behavior had been getting out of hand, and Freen didn't want to take advantage of her innocence.

"Oh, I see," Becky responded, her expression filled with sadness. "What does that mean?"

Freen sighed and facepalmed. "It means that, for me, it's inappropriate if you sleep naked with me."

"I'm sorry," Becky said, standing up from her seat. "I won't do it again."

Becky turned her back, and tears began to roll down her cheeks. She sniffled and moved slowly, expecting Freen to stop her. She knew that Freen couldn't stand seeing her cry or sad.

Why was it wrong to be close to Freen? Becky just wanted to spend time with her, to be near her, and to emulate her. She admired Freen so much, but now she realized she needed to stop. Freen wasn't happy with her actions anymore.

"Bec," Freen called her name softly, then pulled her into a hug.

Becky smiled. She had won, she thought. Freen had a soft spot for her, and she wouldn't let her feel bad. But why did it feel wrong? Why did Becky feel like she shouldn't be happy about Freen's kindness?

"I'm trying to teach you because you're growing up. There are certain things you shouldn't do," Freen said gently, rubbing the back of Becky's head. "One day, you'll have to return to where you belong, and I won't be able to be with you. You'll be on your own, so you shouldn't take unnecessary risks. Do you understand?" Freen asked, looking into Becky's eyes.

Becky nodded and hugged Freen tightly again. She liked this feeling, being in Freen's embrace, feeling safe and cared for. However, what Freen had said made sense. Becky was from a different time, and she would have to go back soon. As much as she wanted to bring Freen with her, she couldn't be that selfish.

This was the first time Becky had ever seriously thought about the future. She used to believe that returning to her time would make her happy because of what she had seen in the future. But now, it seemed far from reality. All the things she had seen, experienced, and loved here, she couldn't take them with her, and that was the saddest part.

"Freen," Becky whispered, not letting go of the embrace. "Can we stay like this for a while? I don't want to let go just yet."

"Why?" Freen asked.

"I don't want to say goodbye. I want to stay here with you forever." Tears welled up in Becky's eyes once more.

She didn't want to leave. She wanted to stay. If only she could.