Last Chapter

Friend anxiously called Heng, to inquire about Freen's whereabouts. She asked him if Freen could go to the location she would send.

In just a matter of minutes, Becky spotted Freen approaching, her eyes brimming with sadness. Deep down, Freen couldn't shake the sorrow of being left behind, but there was a glimmer of happiness too, as she knew that Becky would be reunited with her family.

"Is that the capsule?" Freen asked, her smile faint. "You're going back, aren't you?"

Becky nodded, smiling warmly at Freen. "I just wanted to say goodbye before we head back."

"You called me here for that?" Freen chuckled awkwardly, swallowing hard.

Freen found it excruciating. She couldn't bear to see Becky leave, but she had no choice. It was a painful decision she had to make.

"Freen..." Becky reached for Freen's trembling hands.

Friend discreetly excused herself, giving them the space they needed to talk privately. Freen licked her dry lips and lifted her gaze, determined not to let the tears fall.

"Whatever happens, you'll always be in my heart," Becky whispered, her voice quivering. "I'll cherish you forever."

"Don't make me cry," Freen teased, her voice quavering as tears welled in her eyes. "If you do, I might just follow you."

"Thank you for believing in me, for showing me what true love is, for helping me mature, and for making me the center of your world, even if just for a while," Becky began. She wiped her own tears away, then turned around to hide her emotions from Freen.

Yet, Freen couldn't help herself. She hugged Becky from behind, resting her chin on Becky's shoulder.

"When you return, you'll continue to grow," Freen whispered, making Becky cry even more. "You'll come to understand things you didn't before. You'll find genuine love, and she will become the center of your world. Making choices is tough, Becky, but I have to do what's right."

"I love you, Freen," Becky sobbed, caressing Freen's arms around her waist. "Even though we were not born in the same generation, I love you with all of my heart."

"Perhaps in another time, or in another life, we can be together," Freen tried to sound strong, but her tears betrayed her. "I love you too, Becky. I wish I could hold onto you."

Becky turned around and embraced Freen tightly, and they both wept. Neither of them wanted to let go. The weight of the moment hung heavily over them, suffused with sorrow.

"I don't want you to suffer anymore," Becky said, her voice trembling. "It's okay if you forget me, as long as you're safe and sound. I'll be okay."

"I'll try not to forget you," Freen smiled, kissing Becky's palms and then her forehead. "I love you so much."

After their heartfelt exchange, Friend returned and gestured for Becky to enter the capsule. Freen couldn't help but cry as she watched Becky step inside. She wanted to change her mind, to make her stay.

"Wait," Freen said to Friend just before she could press the button.

"Your eyes will hurt, Freen, or you'll go blind if you watch after I press this. Turn around and close your eyes," Friend advised. She was fibbing; she simply didn't want Freen to witness Becky's departure.

Becky signaled to Friend to proceed, and the lights illuminated the capsule.

Freen sobbed loudly as she knelt on the floor, her eyes tightly shut. She knew that if she opened them, Becky would be gone.

"I'm heading back now, Freen," Friend said softly, and Freen simply nodded.

It marked the end of her vibrant life with Becky, the end of the sunset they had shared. However, Freen clung to the hope that tomorrow would bring a new day and that somehow, Becky might return into her life in some way.