Chapter 9

"Ugh, seriously?" Freen groaned, frustrated as she wiped away everything she'd written in her notebook. Writing something romantic seemed impossible at the moment, but Heng kept pestering her for just one chapter.

Love was a mystery to Freen. Despite penning numerous sweet phrases, she couldn't help but cringe at her own words. She yearned to capture the essence of love in her character's experience, yet inspiration eluded her.

Loud barks reverberated through her door, prompting a sigh from Freen. The noise wasn't bothersome; in fact, hearing Bonbon's bark offered her a sense of comfort. It wasn't just about Bonbon, but the assurance that wherever Bonbon was, Becky couldn't be far behind.

Exactly. What if Freen crafted Becky as the central character, describing her in all her glory?

"Sorry about the noise," Becky said, scooping up Bonbon to prevent further barking.

Leaving the door open, Freen observed Becky in the living room. Predictably, she was absorbed in her books, a familiar sight. Rising from her seat, Freen joined Becky's side, where Bonbon had taken up residence.

With a grin, Freen gently moved Bonbon so Becky's lap became her cushion. Resting her head there, she admired Becky's innocent focus on her reading.

Even from this angle, Becky's perfection shone through. She radiated an angelic aura, as though she'd been sculpted by the heavens themselves. Every feature, from her nose to her eyes to her cheeks, held an undeniable allure. It was as if God had taken extra care in creating her.

"Bonbon's a bit jealous. Go to your room if you're sleepy," Becky murmured without taking her eyes off her book.

Freen glanced at Bonbon, who seemed miffed, but she merely stuck her tongue out playfully, asserting her claim on Becky. Freen questioned why she was playfully arguing with an innocent dog over Becky's attention when she could have it all for herself. This wasn't her typical behavior; she was being unusually immature.

"I can't seem to find any inspiration to write. I'm stuck," Freen admitted, closing her eyes. Becky shifted beside her, but Freen remained still, allowing her to do as she pleased as long as she got to rest on her lap.

"What kind of inspiration do you need?" Becky's voice was husky, prompting Freen to open her eyes. "Maybe I can help."

Freen wrestled with her emotions. Becky's closeness stirred overwhelming feelings within her. The sound of Becky's voice was soothing, akin to a lullaby. Everything felt fresh and unfamiliar, yet she begrudgingly admitted she enjoyed it.

"I want to capture the feeling of people falling in love," Freen confessed.

Becky tilted her head, locking eyes with Freen. A slow smile crept onto her lips. "That's not hard."

Frowning, Freen asked, "Seriously? Falling in love is anything but easy."

"Falling in love isn't the tough part. You know what's tough?" Becky countered. "Resisting falling for someone you're completely smitten with."

Becky hit the nail on the head. Freen realized that the stories she'd read didn't quite capture the essence of infatuation and love.

"There's a reason behind that, Bec," Freen attempted to sound more sisterly, but Becky didn't seem to mind. She looked away, sighing softly. "Why won't you believe me? When someone tries their best not to fall for someone, there's usually a valid reason. Maybe they fear risking the friendship or dread rejection. Reasons like those."

"But sometimes, trying is the right move." Becky turned her gaze back to Freen, sincerity in her eyes. "Better to give it a shot than to realize too late that you've fallen for someone."

"There's no 'too late' in love," Freen argued. "If they can't admit it now, they might do so later."

"That's not how reality always works, Freen. What if you like someone, but you never confess, and later you find out they're married, gone, or far away? Taking a chance beats regretting missed opportunities," Becky retorted, flicking Freen's forehead. "If I ever meet your ancestors in the past, I'll remind them to pass down a better outlook on love."

Freen chuckled. "So, can you help me now? I want to see someone falling in love. You know that? They said that their eyes were glistening."

Becky pondered for a moment, locking eyes with Freen once more. "Then just look at me."