Chapter 28

It was hard for me to sleep that night as usual. Jay's obsession, the flowers he sent, and him saying he'd never stop trying to get me back were all topics on my mind as I tossed and turned. Eventually when I did drift off to sleep, it was time to wake up for school and when Chris barged into my room to wake me up I groggily told him to go away which he did. I thought I only closed my eyes for a few minutes, but when I woke up again and looked at my phone to check the time, I immediately sat up slightly disoriented.

"Ugh," I groaned, rubbing my eyes. Just what I needed, to be late to Mr. Lee's class once again. I was also not looking forward to the potential lecture my dad would give me once he saw I was still at home. I could hear his footsteps as he walked down the hall into the kitchen, whistling. He would be leaving for work soon and if I wanted to catch a ride I needed to get ready fast.

When I stepped out of my room I heard the doorbell ring. A chill ran down my spine as I watched my dad walk into the foyer to open the door.

"Good morning, Mr. Fox," I heard Jay's voice say.

I knew it was him. I always felt his presence it was like it was becoming second nature for me to recognize when Jay was around. What he was doing here on my doorstep, I didn't know.
Jay looked nervous but he kept eye contact with my dad.

"What are you doing here?" Dad asked curtly. Normally he was polite, but when it came to Jay his manners appeared to be less welcoming for obvious reasons.

"Uh, well I wanted to see if I could give Amore a ride to school," Jay said.

My dad crossed his arms and shook his head.

"You really have a lot of nerve showing up here," he said. "You need to stay away from my daughter."

"I can't, sir," Jay said, keeping his tone cordial.

"What do you mean you can't? I could file another restraining order against you. And this time I'd make sure Amore show up to court to get the order permanently placed. She was too scared to face you the last time but I won't let that happen again."

He was right. The last restraining order being temporary was due to my fear of having to tell my story in front of a judge with Jay being there. Not only was I scared, but also discouraged due to Jay's dad being so close with various law enforcement officers.

"I love Amore, I just want to make things right," Jay said. "Please."

"I won't ever give you that opportunity," my dad snapped.

Jay's face remained calm but I knew. I always knew. His eyes always gave him away. He was starting to get mad. And I was starting to become afraid. This time for my dad. I'm sure he could hold his own if it came down to protecting himself or me but Jay had a few inches of height on him and was stronger, younger.
As if he could feel my presence nearby, Jay glanced in my direction. My dad looked over his shoulder as I was ducking back behind the wall. I wasn't sure if Jay had seen me but I definitely made eye contact with my dad.

"Don't show up here again," was the last thing my dad said before shutting the door in Jay's face. He walked into the living room, eyeing my pajamas. "Amore, what are you still doing here?"

"I slept in," I said.

"And Chris left without you?"

"Yeah, but it's not his fault." The last thing I needed was Chris getting in any type of trouble. The atmosphere in the house was already tense, I didn't want to add to it.

My dad sighed, choosing to not ask any further questions.

"Just go get ready for school," he said. "And make it quick."