Chapter 2

The next day lunch came around. I was prepared this time. I had packed a lunch, a turkey sandwich and chips with a Rice Krispy for dessert. As I chatted with Kendra and them, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I glanced over and saw Jay's tall self standing over me.

"You owe me," he said with a smile staring down at my lunch.

"There's only enough for one," I said.

Jay squeezed himself between me and some other girl sitting at the table.

"Man, you're gonna do me like that after I paid for you to eat not once but twice," he said, shaking his head.

"You did that out of the kindness of your heart not for any return of a favor," I said.

"What if you let me take you out and we can call it even?"

"Out where?"

"You like golfing? My sister works at a miniature golf place we could get in for free. Could take you this weekend."

"I'm good."

Jay looked surprised but it quickly went away.

"Can I ask why?"

"Because I don't have to," I replied. I ate a couple of chips and watched his reaction.

His faces remained neutral and he nodded.

"All right cool then. Whatever," he said. He got up from the table and went back to sit down where he originally sat.

"What was that about?" Yasmine asked.

I hadn't realized all three of them had been snooping on the conversation.

"He asked me out but I said no," I said.

"Why?" Chantel asked with a surprised tone. "How you gonna reject that piece of delicious man?"

"I'm just not interested that's all."

"You are something else."

I controlled myself from giving her an annoyed look. What was the big deal of rejecting jay's advances. Chantel was the one who told me about his past with other girls if anything I was saving myself from developing any feelings for him. As I opened my rice Krispy I couldn't help but glance over at jay, who I saw was staring straight at me.

Cheer practice was always the worst in the summer. Sweltering heat beamed down on all fourty of us junior varsity and varsity cheerleaders. We had only five more minutes of practice left thankfully but I was ready to go home and take a good shower. My coaches were tough. Tougher than my last school. To end practice we had to run a lap around the field which I hated because the football players would watch. I began my run with everyone else and caught up with Kendra.

"Do you think I made the right choice not going out with Jayden?" I asked her already out of breath.

"I honestly don't care. If you don't want to go out with him then don't. Chantel is the one who always makes a big deal about everything especially when it comes to boys," Kendra said.

Before I could respond I heard a whistle.

"Amore less talking more running. Run another lap!" Coach Gomez yelled from across the field.

I groaned. My frustration only grew when I heard one of the football players tease, "Ooh somebody in trouble." I could tell it was Darius but because of the helmet I couldn't be sure. Nonetheless, I started my other lap. I was almost done when I heard someone shout in the distance.

"Ay watch out!"

Before I could react I felt a hard, solid object hit the side of my head. Due to the heat and sudden force I fell to my legs in surprise. I looked over and saw it was a football that hit me. I put my hand to where I'd been hit and winced. It was pounding but I would be okay.