Chapter 6

Weeks went by and eventually it was the week of Halloween. Everyone was hyped. Even though we were seniors Halloween still brought excitement to us. Jay and I had been together for a month. We were doing good but his desire to control everything became more obvious. He wanted me to sit with him at the football side of the table at lunch now instead of with my friends, he insisted on always walking me to class when he could, and quite frequently was beginning to get on my case about what I wore to school. To outsiders of our relationship they might've found his behavior cute, and I did too but sometimes it got overwhelming.

Halloween fell on a Friday and there would be a party right after. Chris had unsuccessfully tried to convince our dad to let us throw a party at the house but he wouldn't allow it. I was surprised when Jay told me he'd be having it at his. I hadn't been to his house all but that one time, but it seemed odd to be having it there. His household was so secretive so I wasn't expecting him to be open to being a party host.

By Friday the school had an atmosphere of excitement not only because of the holiday, but because we'd be playing another one of our rival schools. They were equally as good as our team but I knew Jay could get us this win.

"We're about to be the baddest girls at that party tonight," Kendra said to me as we stretched on the track field. The game was about to start in another eight minutes.

"For sure," I said. Jay and I decided to dress together. I was going to dress as Barbie and he'd be Ken. It was corny but I found the idea adorable and one that required minimal effort.

Chantel went for something typical: a Playboy bunny outfit. She kept talking about it the whole week.

"It's crazy how jay is having a party at his house, he's never done that before," Yassmine said.

"Really?" I asked.

"Mhm. I don't think anyone from school has been to his house before."

"Shit I'm dating him and I've only been in there once."

Yasmine laughed at the same time as the buzzer went off signalizing the start of the game.

***

I couldn't believe how bad we were losing. I knew the opposing team was good, but I thought we would be in the lead. They were winning by fourteen points. I hated to admit it buy Jay wasn't playing like a team. He wanted to beat them so badly he kept missing passes and trying to score all of the touchdowns. This resulted in everyone else getting mad at him and playing just as bad.

"Yo, you guys suck!" Chantel yelled at the football players.

"Chantel!" I scolded. "We're supposed to be cheerleaders."

"These losers are embarrassing."

I sighed and focused my attention on Jay. He once again had attempted to make a touchdown without the thought to throw it to my brother Chris and ended up getting tackled.

"Ugh," Chantel groaned.

The coach called for a timeout and the football players formed a huddle. I saw Jay glance in my direction and I waved to cheer him up, but he looked away. I sighed and called out a cheer for my team to do. The boys might have been losing tonight but I wasn't going to let that effect my team.

***

We lost the game big and everyone was disappointed. The excitement that was there earlier seemed to have died down. The party was still on though so hopefully this loss wouldn't effect the atmosphere there.

The girls and I got ready over at Kendra's house and by the time we arrived at Jay's place it was already packed.

"How do I look?" I asked them as we approached the front door.