Chapter 19

When I walked outside it was sprinkling but the weather wasn't what was making me shiver at the moment. It was the way Darius was looking at me as I approached his car and the smile he gave me as he held the door open for me.

"Thank you," I said. I got in the passenger seat and put on my seatbelt. He already had the car running so it was warm inside. "So, where are we getting pancakes at?"

"I was thinking this place by my house it's not that far," Darius said as he began driving.

"Will we make it back in time?"

"We should. Why? You gone turn into a pumpkin or something if I don't have you back at a certain time?"

I snorted.

"Maybe," I said. "But seriously I have to be back before brunch."

"Don't worry." Darius didn't question my urgency although I could tell he was curious on why I was in a rush. The car was silent but not awkward. I cleared my throat anyways.

"How are your classes going?" I asked.

"Alright," Darius responded. "I'm not doing the best in chemistry." Darius glanced at me and I don't know why but I found myself blushing.

"You should get a tutor grades are important especially since you're an athlete."

"Maybe I should. You offering?"

"No, I'm barely passing it."

"We should help each other then."

"I'll see."

Eventually Darius pulled into the parking lot of a diner. We got out of the car and walked inside. It wasn't that busy so the hostess quickly led us to an available booth. I looked around the diner making sure there were no familiar faces. Other than my anxiety about the potential of Jay finding out I was here, I found myself quite relaxed around Darius. It felt good to be comfortable and not have to watch what I say or do.

"How many girls do you take to get pancakes?" I asked after a waitress took our orders.

Darius chuckled and smiled.

"Not many," he said. "I mean I get my fair share of females but I only bring the special ones here."

I let out a nervous laugh.

"How are you and Jay?" Darius asked.

"Um we're fine," I said. I wasn't prepared for this topic.

"Is your arm healing good?"

"Yeah, hopefully it will be off by my birthday in a few weeks."

"Oh really your birthday coming up? I gotta remember to get you something."

"You don't have to do that. Plus, my birthday is during winter break so it's not like we'll see each other."

"Damn you don't even want to hang out? I'm hurt."

I laughed.

"I think Jay wants me all to himself."

"I'm sure he does his jealous ass. Does he know you're here with me?"

I shook my head violently.

"No he doesn't and please don't tell him," I said.

"Woah, chill," Darius said holding his hands up.

My face probably looked crazed and fearful so I quickly relaxed.

"I just don't want any tension between you two..." I trailed off.