Chapter 17

It felt weird being on campus after being suspended and I was surprised how much I missed being here. I was already caught up on homework assignments but I had a statistics test I needed to make up however I had so many things on my mind pertaining to Jay and Destiny's warning on Friday. I had built up the courage to go to Jay's house on Saturday to break up but he had greeted me with love and kindness which then made me backtrack. Then on Monday I contemplated doing it before school but didn't, then Tuesday came and now it was Wednesday and I still hadn't done it. Not to mention it was December and Christmas was coming up. I would feel bad breaking up with him during holiday season. Then again once Christmas break arrived it would be much easier for me to avoid him after since I wouldn't have to deal with seeing him at school.

"Amore, you have fifteen more minutes on your test then I have to go to my faculty meeting," Mrs. Taylor, my stats teacher said.

I snapped out of my thoughts and looked down at my test. I had only completed four questions out of the twenty problems. And I was pretty sure the answers weren't even correct. I cursed under my breath and quickly made up fake work and answers. I gathered my things and handed my test to Mrs. Taylor. I then decided to head to the football field. Even though I wasn't suspended anymore, my coaches still wouldn't let me practice, but Jay was still attending his practices. When I got to the field I saw him sitting by the benches but he was actually wearing his football uniform with his crutches resting beside him. I hope he didn't plan on practicing today. I took a seat in the bleachers and went back and forth from watching the cheer team and football team.

Towards the end of practice I saw Jay walking onto the field and he began to play. He actually wasn't doing that bad but I could tell he wasn't playing at his full potential. During a water break Chris approached Jay and whatever he said must have bothered Jay because the next thing I knew he had shoved Chris to the ground.

"Oh my god," I said with a sigh. I watched as Chris stood up and was about to shove Jay back but the coaches stopped him before things got too serious. I looked down at my phone and was glad practice would be over in another thirty minutes.

When practice was over like always I waited for Jay to come out. Chris walked out first. Since Jay's leg was messed up he had been giving us rides to and from school, but I was pretty sure that offer wasn't an option anymore after what happened today.

"You ready?" Chris asked me.

"We're not waiting for Jay?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"Hell no. His ass is not welcome in my car."

"What happened? What did you say to him out there?"

"All I did was make a joke and his ass got offended. I ain't apologizing either. You either come with me or take the bus."

I bit my lip not knowing what to do. Jay came out of the locker room at that moment and walked towards me with a slight limp. He wasn't even using his crutches.

Chris walked away without waiting for my decision, leaving me and Jay.

"Why aren't you using your crutches?" I asked him.

"I don't need them," he responded.

"You're limping though."

"You're not a doctor."

"You say that but I've been the one helping you as you've healed and you haven't complained about that."

Jay glared at me.