Chapter 4

Friday came and it was yet another game day. The school buzzling with excitement just like the first game of the season. We would be going up against the Davis High Buffaloes, the biggest rival of them all.

"Are you nervous?" I asked Jay.

It was lunch time and we were sitting outside together under a tree.

"Nah," Jay said as he plucked grass from the soil. "I never get nervous. Only more excited."

I was still trying to figure out my feelings for Jay. The date on Sunday had went okay. The movie fiasco and whole virgin question for sure killed the vibes. But when Jay dropped me off he walked me to the door and tucked my hair behind my ear. The move was simple but was enough to make me feel butterflies again. There was no kiss though.

By now the school had figured out we had gone on a date and I got a few dirty looks from some of the juniors and seniors who had crushes on him, Chantel being among the jealous ones. Jay hadn't officially asked me to be his girlfriend but he had referred to me as "his girl" for a second time earlier in the week. Now here we were sitting at lunch, trying to get to know one another better. Jay was open but at the same time so secretive. He picked and choosed what he wanted to answer, meanwhile I was expected to answer all of his questions or be held in contempt.

"Do you get nervous around me?" I asked hesitantly.

Jay smiled and rubbed his hand over my thigh.

"I could ask you the same question?" He said.

Heat creeped up my cheeks and I pulled my cheer skirt down.

"Your skirt's too short," Jay said.

"It's not it's just this position I'm in,"I said thinking it was more of a question than a statement.

"No, I mean I think your skirt is too short for you."

"It is not."

"Get up."

"Jayden," I said with a sigh. But I stood up anyways and adjusted my skirt accordingly.

"Turn around," Jay ordered.

I twirled and did a pose hoping to earn a smile but was instead met with a look of annoyance.

"You know your ass hangs out, right?" Jay said to me.

"Okay now you're just being dramatic," I said while plopping back down into the grass. "I've worn this skirt how many times? And you're just now making a comment about its length."

"Well that's because you weren't my girl before but now you are."

His girl.

"Who said I was your girl?" I said. Now I was getting annoyed. "Why have you claimed me yet you haven't even given me a kiss yet. Hell, we've only been on one date."

Jay sat up and scooted closer to me. He brung my face closer to his and leaned forward. I closed my eyes and felt his lips come into contact with mine. They were as soft as they looked. We kissed for the remainder of the lunch break.

***

By the time the game came I was excited and jittery. I was still thinking about kissing Jay. He had kissed me before the game too in front of everyone. Kendra and Yasmine teased me about it while Chantel ignored me. It's crazy to me how we were all buddy buddy before I started dating Jay. She held resentment all over a guy who i never knew she had feelings for to begin with.

"You know who we're playing tonight right?" Chantel suddenly asked me.

"Everyone knows," I said.

"Jay's ex is on the other side of the field."