Chapter 7

Eventually Jay and I made our way back to the party. I was so happy we were on good terms again and the vibe had returned back to normal. I sat with Jay on the couch as he mingled with his friends and couldn't help but feel bored at their sports talk.

"Babe, let's dance," I suggested, placing my chin on his shoulder.

Jay looked over at me with an annoyed look.

"Don't interrupt my conversation," he said.

The smile I had faltered and I leaned back against the couch. Darius came back from the bathroom and plopped down next to me.

"Why you moping?" he asked.

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Aren't Barbies supposed to be happy and shit?" Darius continued with a wide grin.

Before I could reply, Jay put his hand on my thigh and gave it a light squeeze. I looked up at him and his eyes were on Darius. When one guy was giving me attention that's when Jay would finally show me some. But any other moment I was expected to stay by his side without him even talking to me.

"I'm going to go find Kendra and them," I said.

Jay ignored me and wrapped his arm around my shoulder. He kissed the side of my neck.

"You're going to stay your ass here, okay?" he said into my ear.

I nodded. While Jay wasn't looking I took out my phone and sent a text to Chris that I was ready to go home. Pretty soon he walked over to where Jay and I were.

"Alright, y'all im finna head out," Chris said. "You ready, Amore?"

"Yep," I said rather quickly. I cleared my throat and started to get up but Jay stopped me.

"Where you going? I thought I was taking you home," he said.

I had never assumed Jay was taking me home and I knew he was only saying this because he didn't want me to leave.

"It's okay I'll just get a ride with Chris," I said.

"Yeah it's more convenient," Chris added. "You trying to hold her hostage or something?" Chris laughed and punched Jay in the arm playfully.

Jay laughed, but his eyes remained dark. I didn't like that look.

"You know what, Chris," I said, "I'll stay for a little bit longer."

"You sure?" my brother asked.

I nodded and glanced at Jay. He rubbed my leg and gave me a smile.

"Ay, the police are up front!" a random person started yelling.

"Ah, shit," I heard Darius say.

At that moment the house became chaos as everyone ran out before the police could catch anyone drinking and smoking, the music cut off and the room just filled with a mixture of drunk, confused laughter and chatter. Chris scared ass ended up leaving me. I held onto Jay's hand as he walked to the front door where a couple of officers were standing.

"Is this your house, son?" one of them asked.

"Yes," Jay said. "I was just throwing a Halloween get together."

"Well this 'get together' has rallied a few complaints from your neighbors. Your folks home?"

"They are, sir."

I looked at him in surprise. I had no idea his parents were home. I'd assumed he threw this party without their knowledge.

"Let me go get my mom," Jay said. "She's upstairs." He looked at me. "Stay here, I'll be back."