Chapter 21

Unclear on what I wanted with Jay I decided to not go to school the remainder of the week. My dad had agreed only because he thought I was depressed about Mom. I'd also promised him I'd spend the time studying for finals which I did the rest of the week. When the weekend came I decided to finally have some free time. Due to my phone being broken I was unaware if Jay was trying to get a hold of me. I'd told my dad about my phone being broken and he said he'd get me a new one. In the meantime, I had my MacBook to keep me socially active but I had blocked Jay's number and accounts on social media. I was relieved he made no surprise visits to my house. Maybe he really was scared of Chris despite him saying otherwise.

After being inside all day, I decided to get some much needed fresh air. There wasn't much exercise I could do with just one functioning arm, so I opted for a walk around the neighborhood. After about twenty minutes I realized I was nearing where Jay lived. I don't know why I felt so drawn to being near him again. I stopped near a grocery store, deciding to get a quick snack before heading back home. I walked to the snack aisle and browsed the shelves.

"Amore, is that you?"

I looked to my left and saw Jay's mom standing there with a shopping cart full of groceries. I was grateful she was alone but not grateful to see her to be honest.

"How have you been?" Kelly asked with a smile.

"Um, I've been okay," I said.

"That's good to hear."

"How's Jay been?" I regretted the question as soon as it left my mouth but Kelly looked pleased and honestly relieved that I asked as if she wanted to bring him up herself.

"Oh, you know being Jay," she said. "He misses you. You don't come over anymore."

"I broke up with him."

"Yeah, I figured. He hasn't been taking it well."

That didn't surprise me.

"Why don't you tell him I said hi," I said.

Kelly's face beamed.

"How about you come over and let him know?" she asked. "He would love that."
"That isn't a good idea," I said.

"It would only be for a moment, just stop by. It would mean a lot to him."

I shifted my feet awkwardly and shook my head no. Kelly's face fell but she quickly put a smile back on it.

"I guess I'll let you go then," she said as she continued past me down the aisle.

"Hey, could you do me a favor and not tell Jay you saw me actually?" I asked.

"Of course." She kept smiling and the more I looked at it the more I saw how forced and unnatural it was. I felt bad for rejecting her but knew it was for the best.

Once she turned the corner I let out a deep breath. Forget the snacks I needed to get back home before I bumped into anyone else. As I was leaving I stopped mid-walk when I saw Kelly in another aisle with Jay right by her side. I quickly hid behind a cutout Santa display. My heart was beating and I felt myself getting sick. I always got this way in Jay's presence but I hadn't seen him in a few days which made the feeling even worse. Kelly had made it seem like she was here by herself. What were her intentions when she saw me just now? To lure me to her house but in reality just take me directly to Jay for an unwanted reunion?

After about five minutes, I peeked from my hiding spot and relaxed when I no longer saw Kelly or Jay nearby. I slowly stepped from behind where I was hiding and made my way to the exit. When I got outside I was stopped by a group of nuns holding out a donation jar.