1. Resolution

The dark ever-gloomy mansion had turned silent that night.
A tiny cresent of moon could not help cut the darkness and the heart-pearcing silence was the most dreadful thing that night.

Servants whispered in hushed tones and were careful as if walking on eggshells. No one could sleep a wink and anticipated a dreadful news.

Bhoora was standing still outside Samar's room, that was closed for any entry, where Karan accompanied his twin.

It was a few hours ago that the doctors had visited the mansion. Though no news was confirmed, the staff, who had witnessed the lifeless body of their Tower Prince, sincerely hoped that he would live to tell the tale. They did not know how and to what extent they will be facing the wrath of Karansingh Shekhawat, if something happened to his twin.

Karan, with unblinking eyes, looked at Samar, who was lying still and motionless on his bed, next to him was his equally still so-called wife, Radhika.
For the first time ever, Radhika was sleeping beside her husband in his room, and she was oblivious to the fact.

The doctors had given their best possible treatment and had confirmed that both Samar and Radhika were now out of danger, but that did nothing to soothe Karan's bleeding heart.
All he wanted was for Samar to open his eyes and say that he was fine. But it was too expensive at the moment.

Samar's already weak body was taking longer to accept the medical assistance and so was the delay in his response.

Radhika was expected to wake up any given moment.

Karan breathed heavily when she stirred in her sleep and groaned lightly. At least one life was back, one more to go.

She blinked rapidly and slowly opened her eyes, trying to adjust with the lighting of the room. The unfamiliar surroundings had her wondering for a moment until her gaze fell on Karan, who sat at the foot of the bed that she was lying on. She gasped lowly and tried to push herself up, but regretted immediately due to the heavy pounding in her head. But that did not stop her from stepping down the bed and that was the moment when she noticed Samar sleeping on the same bed.
A shiver of pure fear ran down her spine, thinking that Karan would belittle her for....
She did not know what to do or say.

"How are you feeling now?" Karan asked her, stepping down the bed, in a strained and tired, yet gentle voice.

She blinked at him with parted lips and nodded lightly. She was too preoccupied with the thought of being so close with the Prince that she could not bring herself to answer.

She looked at sleeping Samar and then back at Karan. The unasked question was evident in her eyes.

Karan sighed.
"He should be up in a few hours."

Confusion marred her features.
"What happened to him?" She could not recall anything.

"You don't remember?" Karan asked with furrowed eyebrows.

Radhika blinked back, trying to think harder on what she missed. The entire situation that she found herself in and the heavy pounding in her head made it impossible to think.

"Who gave you that box of sweets? Did you know it was spiked? Were you forced to eat that?" Karan asked.
He could see her tired features and dropping eyelids. She was not completely recovered and still needed to sleep and wave off the fatigue. Not to mention, the encounter with Viraj in Jaiswal mansion had exhausted her already.

Radhika widened her eyes as the sudden realization dawned upon her. She recalled the moment when Rama entered her room and handed her box of sweets, saying she did a marvelous job by finding the truth. Rama had viciously held her jaw and force fed the sweets, saying she deserved the sweets for she was now to be recognized as a Princess, wife of Samar.
Radhika swayed lightly and placed a hand on her forehead. She was immediately held by her shoulders by a strong pair of hands. She lightly opened her eyes and looked at Karan, who was watching her with concern filled eyes.

"This can wait. You still need to rest."
He was referring to the inquiry as he tried to guide her to the bed again, but Radhika shook her head in denial and stepped back.

She was in no position to talk and express. She glanced at Samar and back at Karan, before slowly moving to the exit of the room.
Karan sighed in exasperation. Though he knew who the culprit was, and that she was already held and restrained, he preferred Radhika's healing.

He followed Radhika out of the room and saw Bhoora bow down to the lady. She was too exhausted to notice that the one who never bowed to anyone apart from the twins, had gained her respect.
She walked to her room with slow faltered steps, making sure that she does not trip and make a fool out of herself.

"Put a few maids around. Make sure she is well taken care of." Karan ordered and Bhoora was off to instruct a few maids, so that he could soon resume his earlier position.
The maids that were asked to look after Radhika were glad to do so. After all, she was the one who risked her life and cleared the name of The Tower Prince.
She had unknowingly gained respect in the maids and the staff.

Radhika could think of nothing. She closed the door of her room and slid down on the floor.
She was too exhausted and shocked. Looking at Samar's lifeless frame imprinted a dark patch on her memory that she would not be able to forget... Ever!

Karan stroked his forehead when Samar groaned in his sleep in the early hours of morning.
A wide smile spread across his features when Samar finally responded like a body full of life. He made himself lie down beside Samar and wrapped an arm around his torso. A deep slumber soon engulfed him, pulling him into sweet abyss.

When Samar woke up and opened his eyes, he found himself wrapped around his twin.

It felt like long ago that he found himself waking beside his twin. Precisely, during his college days, and before they got married to the Jaiswal cousins.

How he wished that the entire time in between would vanish like a bad dream and he could start a new life.
He recalled all the pain he had given his twin, all these months. No matter whatever he tried, he could not see the constant concern in Karan's eyes.

His twins life was equally destroyed as his, where his twin was nowhere involved.
If he was not around, his twin would have led a happy life with Meera. Even now, the things would not change. Sacrifices knew no ends for Karan and he would be hanging on thin thread to keep his twin happy.

This could come to an end.

A decision was made. Samar knew, it would not be approved, but he had to decide for Karan's better life. He could not see Karan in anymore trouble.

He sighed and looked at sleeping form of Karan. He stroked the naughty tendril of hair that fell on his forehead and placed a deep lingering kiss there. Karan was too exhausted to notice that Samar was awake.
Samar gently unwrapped himself and stepped down the bed. He took a few steps and opened the door, only to find Bhoora gasp at his sight and bow down to him immediately.
As usual, Samar nodded in acknowledgement and looked up to find his parents coming in his direction. His mother carried a plate with lighted silver lamps. She was probably coming from the temple, praying for healthy and happy life of her children.

He was engulfed in tight embrace by his father, who could not keep the moist at bay. His mother hid her face in his chest and cried silently when his father let him go.

"I am fine, Maa." He whispered, wrapping his arms around her.

"This 'fine' is not enough, Samar." She complained.

"Look at Karan. How exhausted and strained he appears." She added and Samar blinked, his resolve deepened.

Karan woke up to an empty bed and was informed that Samar was in his grandfather's room.
He was partially relieved that Samar was doing fine.

No one knew, why Samar was silently sitting in the company of his grandfather, the entire day.

---------------------------------------

First chapter up.

Vote and comment
Love.