13. Void

Radhika looked at herself in the full size mirror.
Her beautiful pale yellow organza Saree flared around her. The fabric draped around her and gave some volume to her slender frame. She took a step back to observe herself completely. The light color suited her warm tan skin. With a handful of matching bangles and a round dot on her forehead, she was all ready to leave with her husband.

The previous night, her family came to know about her plans to move to Chennai with Samar. They were not very impressed, rather were worried for her well-being. She had assured them that she would find herself wY back home, if something happens to go wrong, which she confirmed, would never happen.

Samar walked down with the same duffle bag that he had brought with him. She looked at him and her heart skipped a beat for a moment. Momentarily, she had second thoughts about leaving with him. She also knew one no would be a no forever. She hardened her heart and picked up a suitcase that was already packed.
The family was on the verge of tears as they bud a farewell to their dear daughter. Her mother and grandmother had kissed her forehead again and again, before she stepped up the carriage along with Samar.
The short ride to the Railway Station was full of emotions and anticipation. She did not have a heart to ask him anything and he was quiet as always, burdened with a new responsibility.

Radhika was pleasantly surprised when Samar guided her to First Class AC compartment. Her eyes widened at the interior and she suddenly felt out of place.

"Are we supposed to travel here?" She could not keep her curiosity at bay.

Samar nodded lightly.

She looked around and gulped inaudibly.
"Do you have tickets already booked?"

He looked up at her and held her gaze for a mere moment.
"I knew you would come."

She parted her lips in surprise. Her heart was filled with warmth. She looked down and did not understand why his simple words make her heart flutter and eyes misty.
Samar walked forward and picked up her suitcase to place it in the luggage compartment.

"Sit down. The train is about to leave." He said gaining her attention.

She nodded and timidly gathered the loose end of her Saree and seated herself opposite to him. She noticed that he was much relaxed. When the train actually moved, he let out a deep sigh and combed his fingers in his hair that were falling on his forehead. 
She forced herself to look away, with the fear of getting caught fear staring at him.

The closed space and the anticipation of future was making her vulnerable. She moved closer to the window and forced herself to look at the scene that was left behind with every passing moment. A slight fear of leaving every known person behind and beyond reach was slowly gripping her heart, but the fear was overpowered by a beautiful dream of living with the Prince, for ever.

After the meals were served and devoured, Samar closed his eyes. Not because he was sleepy, but because he wanted to give some time to her to get a grip on the emotions. He could understand her dilemma. He knew she was skeptical about everything, yet she had decided to give a fair chance to whatever he was able to offer.
She looked at his handsome features. The closed eyes with long lashes had enough emotions hiding beneath them. He had gained weight in three months. He was now an exact replica of Karan Kunwarsa. Maybe this was how he actually looked before he got married to Princess Urmila. He had a sharp jaw. His physique was healthier than what she had always seen. He appeared more relaxed and a lot more composed.
Her eyes were shamelessly roaming on his features while he could feel a warm wave rush up-to his neck. He could feel her lingering gaze and he gave her all the liberty to drink in his revived features, by just keeping his eyes closed.

The journey eventually came to an end, bringing both to the harsh reality.

When Samar brought her to the quarter and Radhika looked around at the empty room, she turned around to look at Samar, who nervously rubbed the nape of his neck.

"We are going to stay here?" She asked bewildered.

"I guess, yes." He answered, blinking.

"How?" She asked again.

"What do you mean by how?" He asked back, confused.

"I mean, I don't see anything in this room. To cook, to clean, to sleep?"

Samar went silent for a moment.
"You can get anything you want. I would love to spend some money."

Radhika could sense a tremble in his voice, while he tried hard not to recall the days when he was not allowed to spend a single penny. Those days were long gone when his accounts were were freezes and his cards were blocked. He was no more under the surveillance of cameras.

True to words, he spend a hefty amount and bought whatever Radhika suggested. In two days time, she had transformed the empty room to a cozy home.
She bought a perforated wooden partition and placed it along the platform that acted as a kitchen. This gave the small kitchen it own privacy and created a cozy living area. Essential cooking utensils and grocery along with cleaning tools was purchased and the kitchen was fully functional in no time. She did not forget to buy a few vases and paintings to decorate the bland walls. Windows were now covered with flowy curtains. A low hight table with sitting cusions made their place in the new living room.
She had purchased a thick mattress for Samar, since she noticed that he slept on floor and ignored the only bed in the quarter.

Radhika soon found her life falling in routine. She would cook early in the morning and Samar would have a heart breakfast along with home-made lunch. He would come back home to find the home full of warmth. It was still not easy for Radhika and Samar to fall in easy conversation. She would cook and serve him. He would look forward to see her happy.
Radhika would give a massage to his hand and sleep with content heart in the small bedding in the kitchen area.

Samar had made a strict diet plan for him and her. He was particular about keeping himself and her, properly fed with appropriate nutrition. He did not want to repeat his mistakes and take risk with his or her health. He would take her along for long walks, which would often be silent apart from a few exchange of words. She was used to his silent self and he was comfortable in her presence. They were finely getting along and slowly falling into ease of each others company. They were for each other and with each other.

A small edge of expectations was yet to be explored.
Radhika had a certain unnamed void in her heart. She wanted something more from him.

One fine night, when Samar tiredly came back home, Radhika was almost done with dinner preparation. Samar had his dinner in peace and Radhika too, ate after he was done. Many times he had insisted for her to eat with him, but every time she would refuse, saying she would eat later. Samar leaned his back to the wall as she approached him with a bottle of oil for massaging his hand. She wordlessly sat down on the floor and got caught up with her usual task. Samar sighed softly and leaned his head back and closed his eyes.
Radhika was engrossed in her task and she abruptly looked up to find his eyes closed. She noticed his tired features. He was working late for a few days and the fatigue was visible. She did not realize that while she observed him, the massage movements slowed down. Samar suddenly opened his eyes and caught her staring at him. She gasped lowly and blinked rapidly. She looked down and was about to continue to massage, when Samar gently pulled his hand back.

"You appear tired. You should sleep." He whispered.

Radhika felt something breaking within her. With a small nod she hurriedly stood up and walked to the small bedding that she lay for herself in the kitchen area.
While she kept on feeling guilty for staring at him shamelessly and getting caught while doing so, Samar was left restless for the reason he could not justify.

Next night, Radhika was left heartbroken, when Samar told her that he does not need a massage anymore.

----------------------------------

Another chapter up.

Vote and comment
Love