10. New Beginning

Chennai

It was a start of new life for Samar. The moment he inhaled the dry humid air, a new sense of light-heartedness enveloped him. Rush of adrenaline that he had missed since last few months, overwhelmed his heart.

He had managed to impress a well known and established firm with his ethical hacking skills. He was hired there on an impressive pay scale and was ready to set his foot in the new phase of his life. He looked around and hired a cab to reach the address that would be his new home now - a quarter provided as an accommodation for their employees.

Paying the bill to the cab driver, Samar stepped down with his bag and looked at the row of neatly maintained small buildings. It was smaller than the servants quarter, back in his mansion. The memory pinched his heart and he shook his head to get rid of the bidding uneasiness.

Walking to the security cabin, he introduced himself and was glad to know that he was expected and his quarter was ready to be occupied. Samar picked up the key after he signed the necessary documents. His small quarter was situated amid plenty of similar quarters and was surrounded by lot of open space and palm trees in abundance. He opened the locked and pushed opened the door.

The quarter was a medium sized empty room with just a wooden cupboard and a single bed for furniture. There was a small raised platform with a sink and tap by a wide window. It acted as a kitchen. There was also an arrangement of attached bathroom with toilet. Samar sighed and looked around. It was nothing like he had imagined. There was nothing that could help him stay there. He needed to gather everything for his daily necessities.
He washed himself in the bathroom and changed into a fresh pair. He opened the wooden cupboard and found that it had a nice sturdy locking system. He then sat down on the floor and opened the bag given by Radhika. His heart overwhelmed with gratitude. Karan somehow knew that he would be in dire need of cash and had sent enough for a luxurious survival. Samar pulled out a few notes and stuffed them in his pockets. Locking the bag safely in the cupboard, he walked of the room.
He went back to the security and inquired about the nearby local markets. He was glad to know that they had a small market nearby at a walking distance.

Samar started his shopping spree with a few fruits. He then purchased a couple of bed sheets and blankets, followed by toiletries. He got a meal parceled for his dinner.

When Samar came back to the quarter, he realized how tough the life could be.

The new place of his work was a warm welcome change that took away every thought out of his mind. Samar soon fell in a nice routine where his day would start with a nice long run, followed by a hearty helping of fruits. He would then walk to the office building and work without interactions with his colleagues. It was his way of working, where he would report to the office and walk away with his laptop, only to report back in the evening, to give the updates of his work. He was working single handedly on a project and was using his ethical hacking skills that he always wanted to explore.

He had opted fu or a tiffin service that delivered his lunch and dinner. He had also started with a therapy that dealt with the internal injuries in his hand. The regular exercise, proper meals and change in environment made Samar a different man.

It took him complete three months to finally join his colleagues for a lunch. He was hesitant but realized later on that the office staff did not know who he was. He smiled internally at his own stupidity. That one lunch changed a lot of things for him. It was not difficult anymore for him to stay in the office and work along with others. He would not initiate any conversation, but he slowly was able to smile and laugh in their company.

The days passed in haze. The nights grew longer than ever.

Samar could not stop himself from thinking about his twin and his parents. Radhika too, managed to peep in his memories. He had stirred a many times from his sleep, only because, he saw her sitting alone somewhere in the dark corner of a garden, probably, waiting for someone. One corner of his heart was filled with guilt.
It was not easy to forget his twin and live without the warm smile. And it was gradually getting difficult without his father's strong support and his mother's gentle carressing.

Samar had no idea as to how long this will continue. He had never once made up his mind to call anyone from his family or Radhika. He was sure that Karan would understand him. But he was not sure if he should give Radhika a chance with him, when his own future was completely undefined. He was struggling at the moment to gain a financial stability and get in a better physical shape.

One fine day, he stepped in the office and was surprised to see a table decorated with small balloons and lot of pictures of his colleague, Reva.
Another of his colleagues, Ajay, informed him that it was Reva's birthday and they were throwing a small party to surprise her. Samar was happy to know that and agreed to help in remaining decorations, before Reva came to the office.
Samar did not refuse when Ajay asked him to join for a coffee. While they were still standing by the window of the tall building, waiting for their order of coffee, an excited Reva hurried in the cafe and hugged Ajay tightly. She was too happy for the decorations to hold back and kept on mumbling that it was the best surprise she could ever get on the morning of her birthday. Samar was taken aback when Reva left Ajay and repeated the same gesture with him. Samar froze in his place when Reva wrapped her arms around his neck and closed the distance between them. Samar did not reciprocate and she was too happy to notice and let go of Samar.

He just nodded a yes when she invited him for an evening at the nearby restaurant with all of their colleagues, to repay the gesture.
Samar was in no mood to join them and had made up his mind that he would slip away as soon as the office hours are over. He was relieved that he was back in his quarter by the end of the day, when there was a knock on his door. With a little frustration showing on his features, he opened the door to come face to face with Ajay, who was smiling wide and told him that he was there to fetch him for the dinner. Samar could not find anyone excuse and found himself tagging along Ajay.

The dinner was not a silent affair. Entire staff was at the table and was having a merry time. Though it was just a second time that Samar joined them for a meal, the staff was curious to know more about the young man, who kept himself busy the entire day.
He noticed a few scrutinizing gazes and tried to ignore them. After a while, he excused himself and walked to a nearby bar, to get himself a drink.

"Are you not enjoying yourself?" A girly voice caught his attention and he looked back.

Reva smiled at him, playing with the locket dangling in her neck.

"I just came for a drink." Samar replied looking away.

"They have a nice poolside. Would you like to come and have a breath of fresh air?" She asked hopefully.

Samar blinked at her. Something was not giving him a good vibe.
"I think I should get going. It's already too late. I have some work to be completed."

"Please? I wont take long. Just a few moments?" She insisted.

Samar licked his lips and nodded.

Reva smiled wide and led him to a glass door that opened wide to the well manicured gardens. The open area had plenty of palm trees and lush green lawn that spread to the entire length of the garden. Samar sighed softly when Reva settled on a bench and looked at him in hope to join her. He sat on the same bench leaving a decent distance.

Silence enveloped them for some time, until Reva decided to speak.

"What do you think about me?"

------------------------------------------

Another chapter up.
Vote and comment
Love

SUBH DEEPAWALI
May this festival bring joy prosperity and health.

Keep safe.
Enjoy.
Lots of love.