18. Offer

Radhika could not stop the beautiful smile that played on her lips, the entire drive back.
She was thrilled when Samar saw her smiling at him and pulled her closer in the close confines of the car. His bold move had surprised her and she was lost in the euphoria when he placed a lingering kiss on the inner of her wrist.

Samar had smiled and looked away before he could do more than her poor heart could take.
He had promised the deity and himself that he would go to any lengths to keep the smile on his wife's face, intact.

That evening, Viraj made himself available at the Shekhawat mansion. Both Meera and Karan were surprised to see him, unannounced. While he extended his wishes to Karan, he gently engulfed Meera in his embrace and mumbled a small sorry. Meera looked up at him with wide eyes.

"You came asking for help and could not stand up for you." He regretted.

Meera smiled and pushed herself in his embrace.
"You have nothing to be sorry for. That was my issue and all is well now."

Viraj's pulled back and looked at her. She was glowing in her pregnancy and appeared a lot relaxed and more happy.

"Where is Avantika? Can I see her?" He asked Karan.

Karan chuckled and looked at Meera.
"Why don't you go and get him a cup of coffee?"

Meera nodded and walked away. She knew, she was not sent away for coffee, but Karan needed to talk to her brother and needed privacy.

Karan looked at his retreating wife and then back at Viraj.
"You don't need any permission to see her, Viraj, as long as she doesn't mind. Just know that she is as innocent as your own sister. Don't ever hold her responsible for her brother's deeds. She is too young yet."

Viraj was taken aback. He never thought of mistreating her. But he could see the worry behind Karan's words.
"I would never do that, Karan. I know where you stand. And I don't expect you to trust me immediately. But be assured that she is important for me."

Karan tried hard to trust him.

Viraj knocked on the closed door and waited for it to open. The door opened after a moment to reveal a very surprised Avantika.

"Kunwarsa?" She exclaimed.

"Can I come in?" He asked with a small smile.

"No." Avantika replied immediately.

"Why?" Viraj was slightly offended.

"I mean, I will come down." She replied, trying to get hold on the situation.

Viraj leaned on the door frame.
"You know, that's not fair. You stayed in my room. It's only fair that I get to come in."

Avantika widened her eyes. She found herself at loss of words and moved away to let him in. Viraj closed the door and turned around to close the door. Avantika gasped lowly as she found herself trapped between the door and him. Viraj's breath faltered as he realized the proximity. He immediately took a step back. Avantika looked down for a moment before looking up at him.

She tucked her loose strand of hair behind her ear and walked to the stuffed chairs. He followed her and sat down on one of them.

"What should I get for you?" She asked not looking at him.

"Are we going to be this formal, Avantika?"

She looked at him flabbergasted. She could not understand if she upset him for something.

Viraj realized her scared eyes. He took a deep breath. He knew, he had to take everything very skillfully and give her ample time to get used to him and his ways.
"A glass of juice maybe?"

She nodded at his words and realized that she was worried for no reason. Maybe he was just a bit out of place. She got up from her chair and walked to the mini fridge and pulled out a carton of ready to serve juice. Viraj observed that the fridge had only guava flavor. He realized that she liked guava.

Avantika came back with the tall glass placed in the tray. He picked it up and took a small sip. The refreshing flavor played with his palate and calmed down his senses.
"So, guava is your favorite fruit?" He asked out of nowhere.

Avantika looked at him and realized that she did not ask him if he would like to have something else.
She could not help a small giggle.
"Yes. I hope you like it too. I can get something else from the main kitchen."

"No, this is nice." Viraj smiled.

They sat in silence for sometime and Avantika played with the stole. She was dying to ask something, but found herself at loss of courage.

"How is your brother?" She finally asked out.

Viraj nodded his head.
"He will be fine. He blames himself for Samar's plight. I am sure, he will be fine once he and Samar sort things out."

Avantika nodded. That looked like a distant dream for her. Even she missed her Samar Bhai and did not know when he would come back. Nothing was same and there was a very thin chance that she would see him again.
Viraj found her lost in her thoughts.

"You miss him?"

Avantika blinked and nodded lightly.

He sighed.
"You know what, Samar and I shared the passion of training hunter hounds. He had this weird obsession for animals. We trained eight hounds together, since we were twenty. I still have three dogs, trained by him at our property."

Avantika realized with start how fondly he talked about Samar. She knew her cousin's weird attachment towards animals. He always said that they are best at giving back love ten folds. She did not know her husband too, was of same clan.

"Why are you passionate about the dogs?"

Viraj smiled. It was a genuine and carefree smile.
"Not just dogs. I love birds too. I have a nice collection of beautiful birds in our farms. I like to plant trees that give fruits, so that more birds could visit our farms. They are so innocent, Avantika. So pure and full of life. I will show you sometime if you visit our farms someday."

Avantika was surprised. Viraj was talking without any restraints that day. He was talking his heart out.

"You distracted me. I actually came to ask you something." He suddenly commented.

"Ask me what?"

"Ask you out for dinner?" Was his instantly reply.

"Huhhh?" She was surprised by his sudden question.

"I mean, would you like to join me for dinner tomorrow?"

She took a moment to compose herself and nodded.
He smiled.
"Okay, let me rephrase that. Would you like to join me for dinner every night?"

She widened her eyes and parted her lips.

"I really miss you. I keep on thinking of the dinner we had at the farmhouse, under the open sky. I don't want that to stop."

Avantika looked down and smiled. She could not hide the visible blush that shivered her to the core. When she looked back at him, he was patiently waiting for her answer.

"Are we going back to the farmhouse?"

Viraj shook his head.
"Not so soon. I want to be with Mikhail for as few more days. But I will pick you up, we can eat and I will drop you back. Once he is better, we can go back to the farmhouse."

She took a moment to think on his offer and finally replied with a small okay, sending a warm smile to his face.

Viraj left satisfied with her answer, but she was left thinking that he was trying his best to give what his family wanted and at the same time tending to her need to feel safe and protected. It was like walking on egg-shells for Viraj, but he was ready to make all the compromises.

-----------------------------------

Another chapter up
Vote and comment
Love