4. Paving A Path

The sky turn deep hues of grey and black, amidst the bright flickering of lightening. Thunder rumbled through the night sky, soaring like an angry roar of the rain God.
The dark weather exactly dipected the inner turmoil of Samar.

If not for Radhika, he would have been wondering on streets, looking for a shelter in this thunderous night.

A feeble knock on the door was heard and he looked at the entrance of the room that he had not left the entire day.
Radhika stood there with a covered plate in her hands.

Not again!

Samar mentally groaned and averted his eyes. Radhika did not wait for him to respond to her knock and walked to where he was seated on the floor.

Keeping the plate on a small stool, she walked to the corner where a few quilts were arranged. She pulled out a plastic mat and came back to him.

"You should not sit on the floor. The weather is cold."

Samar did not grace her with a response. She gulped and adjusted the stool with plate of food in front of him. She was sure, he was in no mood to eat.

"Please eat. You did not eat anything for lunch."

He looked at her.
"I am not hungry. I will tell you when I need to eat."

Radhika was determined to not give up on trying.
"You need to take medicine."

Samar closed his eyes briefly.
"I can stop taking them. I am fine now."

Radhika did not know why he is so determined to avoid food. It was understandable that the food in her house was not that lavish, but Samar needed to eat something.
She wished he would not mind the simple dal-sabji and roti.

She sighed in defeat and licked her lips. Samar looked at her, thinking she would leave him in peace.

"You did not touch the food in afternoon. My parents know that the food here is not up-to your standards. But if you refuse to eat now too, they will be really hurt." She whispered with a broken heart.

Samar widened his eyes and looked at her bewildered. He was taken aback by her words.
"That is not what I meant." He said immediately.

Radhika just blinked at him, not knowing what to say.

"I... I can't." He whispered meekly.

Radhika furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. She could feel that Samar was trying to say something but was holding himself back. She kneeled down in front of him and looked at him with concern filled eyes.
"You can't what?"

Her voice was as gentle as it possibly could be.
Samar looked at her and contemplated if he should confess. He did not know if it was the right thing to do. He did not know if she would judge him and think of him as a complete failure. But at the same time, it was necessary to clear her misunderstanding.

He hardened his heart and spoke, "I can't make myself eat with my hands. I feel gross. I feel as if they are stained... And dirty."

Radhika internally shivered but managed to keep a straight face. She looked away for a brief moment and blinked rapidly to send away the tears that threatened to fall. She could not show Samar that she was being affected by his condition. He would misunderstand it as pity. She recalled that particular moment when Nishant narrated the story, and told her how Samar was staring at his henna clad hands that were bound in metal cuffs and held the burning stick to light up the pyre of his wife.
That moment was an imprint on his memory and he could never look at his hands with the memory that grossed him out.

He was shattered brutally and beyond repair.

When she looked back at him, he was already staying at her, trying to find if she was disgusted with him.

She blinked at him with hopeful eyes.
"Would you eat if I feed you with my hands?"

Her sudden unexpected question took him off-guard and he slightly parted his lips. Radhika's eyes softened and she gave him a small smile.
She sat down properly and crossed her legs. Picking up the plate, she tore a small piece of roti and collected small amount of leafy vegetables that were tossed with little garlic and green chillies.
She momentarily hesitated before extending the morsel to his lips.

Samar looked down and opened his mouth to accept the morsel.

The entire time that Radhika fed him he did not have the heart to raise his eyes and look at her. He was too guilty and felt vulnerable. No words were exchanged. Radhika quietly fed him and he ate without protest. She was glad that he did not object and he was glad that she did not inquire about his  inhibitions.

"I will bring your medicine. Your hand needs a massage too." She whispered when after long time the plate was completely empty.
Samar looked at the empty plate and wondered when was the last he ate to his full stomach.

He drank the water from the glass forwarded by Radhika. She came back after some time and handed him the medicine, which he gulped with water.

Radhika again sat in front of him and opened a small bottle of oil. A familiar scent of the oil filled his nostrils and he remembered his twin who would do it for him every night. Unwillingly, he extended his hand.

Radhika looked at him and averted her eyes quickly. Though the situation was not very justifying, the mere thought of holding his hand sent her innocent mind in frenzy. Taking control of her emotions with great difficulty, she decided to focus on the massage that the slightly swollen hand needed.

Samar sighed softly when her soft fingers glided smoothly over his skin. The gentle pressure was just perfect to relieve the pain that was gradually building up. His nerves were soon relaxed and he could feel the blood flow through them. His hand was relaxed just like the time when Karan did it for him.

Radhika realised that the swelling was considerably reduced.

She left his hand and secured the cap of the oil bottle. Samar looked at her with gratitude filled eyes. He was still too far away from expressing a small thank you, but Radhika was just fine that he was co-operating well.
She was sure, one fine day, he will be able to come out of his shell and realise, how beautiful this world is...

Just the day was not today.

After the dinner with her family, Radhika picked up a quilt and laid it on the floor, just outside the room where Samar was sleeping. However she tried, she could not make herself sleep soundly, internally fearing that Samar might decide to leave in the dark hours of night.

Samar too, found it difficult to get a dreamless slumber, owing to the fact that he could hear the tinkling of her bangles. He was sure, she was just outside his room.

----------------------------------------

Another chapter up

Vote and comment
Love