6. Finding True Self

Life was stagnant for Samar. Everyday started and ended with same dull routine. He had nothing to look forward to.
He would have a strained unpleasant night sleep and his day would be spent looking out of the window at nothing in particular. The day would slowly transform from morning to afternoon to night, with no change at all.

Radhika's family would never disturb him. But her grandmother, who once worked as a maid in their mansion had approached him a couple of times and asked if he was comfortable in her small humble home. He could not reply more than just a nod with a strained smile.

Radhika's younger brother though, had a different opinion on the entire scenario. Though he knew what Samar went through, he did not like the fact that her sister was left to take care of him, where it should be the other way round. He never voiced his opinion but he was not happy that Samar was taking advantage of his sister.
He had tried to talk sense to Radhika once or twice and got reprimand by her.

It was an early afternoon when Radhika knocked on the door of the room.
Samar looked at the door that he did not lock.

Radhika entered with a smile. She appeared a little tired, probably due to lack of proper sleep. She carried a plate of food in her hands and Samar sighed softly before he perched on the bed and allowed her to feed him as usual.

He was indebted for all her help and did not know until when this would continue. His mind was clouded with thoughts while Radhika fed him patiently and he chewed on the food absentmindedly.
He did not know what to call of this relationship. He was supposed to man up and take care of his wife, while the situation was reversed in his case. He was empty handed with nowhere to go and had no idea of what his future laid in front of him.

He had thought about hundred times about leaving the small house and try to find his own path. But everything was just a blur at the moment.

Shaping a future was too much to ask when he was incapable to eat with his own disgusting hands.

"Kunwarsa!" Radhika shook him gently and he was startled and blinked at her.

"Should I get another serving of rice?" She asked and he looked at the now empty plate. He did not realize that he ate everything.

Feeling absurd at his lost behavior, he shook his head in denial. Radhika nodded and forwarded a glass of water to him.

He sighed deeply when she left him alone to brood over his situation.

Mohit looked at his sister coming from Samar's room and sighed in defeat. He felt helpless in her case and he was not liking it a bit. He wished all the happiness for his sister and here she was struggling for her husband's well-being.
It did not help that he knew the fact that Radhika was married to Samar under certain circumstances. He was not sure of her status in Samar's life and that frustrated him more.

"How long will this continue, Di?" He asked her softly.

Radhika ignored his question and grabbed his hand to pull him into the kitchen to serve him.

He huffed on annoyance and looked away. Radhika noticed it and placed a gentle hand on his cheek, making him look at her.
"Don't think too much. Everything will be fine soon. He will get better with time."

An unknown emotion washed over him.
"And then what? He will leave you here or take you along? Does he even consider this as a marriage? What is all this supposed to mean? What about you?"

The exasperation in his voice shook Radhika. Even she was unsure of the answers to his questions. She chose to look away and turned around. Mehul gently held her shoulders and turned her back, only to find her eyes slightly glossy.