14. Fears

Gentle breeze swooshed and played with her soft silky long strands of hair.
Avantika blinked at the setting sun, visible from the large open window of her room. A calm aura surrounded her but her heart was as usual a little restless. She had just disconnected a call after talking to her mother, who was worried for her well-being.
No matter how hard she tried, she could not convince her mother that she was well. Her mother had called her everyday and apologize a thousand times for putting her in a hard situation.

Avantika sighed and blinked at the horizon. Her mind could not wander away from certain someone, who was trying his best to accommodate her.
Viraj had stopped going to the office and she did not know if he was working at all. He would keep himself away from her the entire day and would wait for her to join him for dinner at the garden table.
They were still staying at his villa and she had missed her college for initial days. Viraj had one day asked her to go back to her studies and she was travelling the distance of approximately two hours back and forth, to complete her education.

She would exhaust by the end of the day, but she did not have the heart to go back to the mansion and face everyone there. She was safe in the lonely Villa, with her own thoughts.

A small knock caught her attention and she turned around to look at the maid waiting for her.

"Kunwarsa has requested your presence on the terrace." The maid stated with a bowed head.

Avantika licked her lips and nodded lightly.
This was not expected. Viraj never insisted to meet her in the span of three months. With an unwilling mind and anticipation in her heart, she got up and walked out of the room. While climbing the wide staircase, she gathered her long hair and tied a loose bun at the nape of her neck. She halted at the threshold and looked ahead to find Viraj seated on a large swing, with his back to her. She took a few shaky steps and Viraj turned around to look at her when he sensed his presence.
She halted in her tracks.

"You called me?" She asked.

Viraj nodded.
"Come here. Have a seat."

Her heart stopped beating for a mere moment. The swing was large enough to accommodate three people. With slow steps she walked forward and perched lightly, keeping a decent distance between them.
Viraj sighed and looked at the sun that was about to disappear.

"Maa called me today."

She looked up at him and he was still had his gaze focused faraway. She instantly gulped and looked down.

"She has asked to come back to the mansion."
Avantika was aware that this would happen one day. It had already been a long time that he was away from his family, but when the situation actually arises to go back, she could feel nothing but shivers run down her spine. She clutched on the end of her stole in a tight grip, with hope to gather strength, but failed miserably as her heart pounded with unknown fear surrounding her.

There was no one who she could look up for support. After the deeds of her brother were out in broad daylight, she was sure to be at the receiving end.

Viraj's looked at her and found her still like a statue. Her tight fists and fear evident on her features tugged at his heartstrings.

"Are you fine?" He could not hold back the concern in his voice.

She nodded without looking up.

"That's my home, Avantika." He whispered as if talking to a crying baby.

A lone tear escaped and Avantika looked away from him, to hide it from him.

Viraj gave her a moment to respond, but she appeared to troubled to reply.

"You can tell me if something is troubling you." He so desperately wanted her to share her troubles.

She shook her head and discreetly wiped her eyes.

"No one will understand until you open up."
Viraj's was aware, owing to her tender age, it was not easy for her to adapt to sudden changes.
With a thumping heart, she expected him to ask her to leave, so that she can gather herself in the dark corner of her room.
Viraj decided to give her a glimpse of reality.

"Niraj Bhaisahab too, wants us to come back. Mikhail is not in a good shape. He is punishing himself every day and night. It's been more than three months, we have been staying here. My parents too, need me. It's time we go back."

Mention of Mikhail was the last straw. Avantika could not hide the horror that washed over her face. She abruptly stood up and Viraj was startled by her sudden action.

"No, please. Mikhail Kunwarsa will kill me with his bare hands." She could not stop the tears that flowed freely.

Viraj looked at her scared form and he could not stop the image of Mikhail lying on the floor, after Avantika's blow on his head.
Viraj chuckled lightly and Avantika looked at him flabbergasted. Viraj soon fell in a fit of laughter. He clutched his stomach and laughed like never before.
Avantika widened her eyes as if he had lost his mind.

"I cannot believe, you managed to hit a man like Mikhail." He said within his laughter.

Avantika widened her eyes. She was instantly filled with rage and turned around to walk away, but gasped and halted in her tracks as Viraj held her wrist and forced her to stop.
She looked at him with wide eyes and parted lips.

"I am sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. But please understand, my family really needs me there."

Avantika gently pulled her wrist away and stepped back, nodding in affirmation.
Viraj smiled and stepped forward. He placed a gentle forefinger below her chin and lightly pushed her face to look at him. Her heart stopped beating for a moment at the proximity. He wiped her tears with his thumb and she blinked with uneasiness.

"You don't have to be scared of anything. You are not someone's sister only, you are my wife now. You no longer are bound for the safety of my sister. You are the youngest daughter-in-law of Jaiswals. Your safety and security is important for me. No one will touch you or hurt you, neither physically, nor emotionally."

Avantika did not want to believe him, but her heart was too innocent to do so. Those soothing and encouraging words were all that she wanted.
A scared child in her was still hesitant to give in.

She could not help but hide her face in the hollow of her palms and cried softly.
Viraj gently pulled her wrists down to look at her tears stricken face.

"Avantika?" He whispered.

"Do you want to go back to your parents?"

She let out a shaky breath.

"For a few days, maybe? Come back when you feel better. You don't have to come to the mansion, until you are ready to accept what we have to offer." He added.

Avantika blinked and wiped her tears, looking down.
She was in no mood to go back to her parents place. She did not want to go where her Samar Bhai was not present.

She shook her head vigorously.

"When do we leave?" Her voice trembled.

He sighed helplessly.
"Tomorrow morning."

She nodded and walked away. He looked at her retreating figure and promised himself to stand up to the expectations she might have from her husband..

-------------------------------------
Another chapter up
Vote and comment
Love