5. Desperation

Viraj did not realize that he was yet again staring at the empty walls in his room.
He had already stopped counting the days that he was staying in his farmhouse, with Avantika too, under the same roof, in another room.

It had initially came as a shocker that she decided to follow him, but he did not know what to think of their future. The entire revelation about his cousin and Avantika's brother had turned the world upside down for both Shekhawat and Jaiswal family.

Viraj absentmindedly blinked and ignored the ringing phone once again.

He had already sent a message to his mother in Jaiswal mansion that he would be staying at his farmhouse and needs to be left alone. The Jaiswal family respected his wishes for initial days, but his mother was constantly trying to reach him since last two days. He had swiped the call to reject it, yet again.
Frustrated, he switched off the device and pulled his knees closer and hid his face in it.

He had not once eaten in back garden since he came back.
The maids had decorated the concrete table with candle stands and exquisite menus, in hope to see the handsome Prince step down the elegant stairs and eat in peace under the open starry sky, but their efforts were lost when he refused to come down and ordered to stop doing it unless told.

He had no heart to face Avantika, who was equally troubled and was closed off in her room.

No one expected Meera to show up unannounced in the Jaiswal Mansion.

She had barged into her parents room and broke down in the arms of her mother. Her emotional turmoil was concluded to be for obvious reasons and no one thought that the girl was going through her own set of griefs.

It was after two days that her mother decided to talk to her and address the issue at hand.

Meera looked up at the door when it opened without a knock and her mother entered with a glass of milk. Her heart broke at the condition of her once pretty daughter. Meera had lost the glint in her eyes and her complexion had turned pale. There were visible dark circles around her eyes and she did not bother that her stole was slipping from her shoulders. There was no hint of makeup and jewelry on her, apart from a small binding on her forehead.

"Meera!" Her mother stroked her untamed hair and Meera broke down in another set of tears, hugging her mother's waist and hiding her face in her midriff.

"Shhh... It's okay, Meera. Calm down. Everything is going to be fine. Just give some time to let the things settle." Her mother said soothing words stroking her hair.

Meera pulled back and wiped her tears and nodded lightly. Her mother sat beside her and thought about the things that she wanted to talk about.

"How come you are here? You should be with Shekhawat family now that they are going through so much." Her mother softly whispered.

Meera looked at her with pained eyes and shook her head slightly. A hope bloomed on her heart and she thought that her parents could help her.

"Maa... You need to talk to Karan." Meera said with tearful eyes.

"Talk about what?" Her mother furrowed her eyebrows.

Meera wiped her nose and gulped hard.
"I am pregnant."

Her mother slightly widened her eyes and a slight smile bloomed on her face.
"Then you should tell this to him yourself."

Meera sniffed.
"He knows. And... He wants me to abort the baby."

Her mother froze.
"What?"

"Yes, Maa. Talk to him. I want this baby. I will not abort it. Please talk to him. He says he needs time and can't think of a baby at the moment. But I know... Things will fall in place. Please, Maa. Talk to him."