2. Fears And Hopes

Karan entered the far away end of west wing of the mansion, and the staff bowed to him in unison.

He kicked open the door of a room and the occupants stood up startled.
Rama gave him a long disdainful stare, while Raghavsingh looked down with guilt.
"Your bags are packed. You both are moving to the outhouse right now. Mukta stays with Bade Papa and Badi Maa." Karan stated coldly.

Rama snickered.
"Do you really think, we would follow your command? Don't forget, he is still the elder child and Crown Prince."

Karan ignored her ranting and looked at Bhoora who was still standing outside the room.
"Make sure they are escorted to the outhouse. Relive all the staff from the outhouse and take away all electronic gadgets that reduce human efforts. Washing machine, food processors, air conditioners... Everything. Let the staff know, no help will be extended in the outhouse."

Karan did not wait to hear Rama's angry ranting. He knew, Bhoora would follow his every command, without a need to repeat.

Rama had a dreadful experience when she had to cook for the two of them. Raghav had already lost his appetite and she found it humiliating when she had to work when uncountable servants were around.

As usual, Samar sent back the barely touched plate of food.
He was busy packing a small duffle bag, when Karan barged in. Samar gave him a blank look and continued with his work.

"Where are you going?" Karan asked.

Samar kept silent for a moment, before looking at his twin and averting his eyes.
"I need this." He whispered feebly.

Karan wrapped his arms around his thin torso from behind and sighed.
"You want to leave me?"

Samar placed a hand on Karan's clasped hands that rested on his midriff. He gulped hard.
He turned around and held Karan's gaze. He then held Karan's face in the hollow of his palms for a long moment and his gaze lingered on the handsome but gloomy face. Samar could see all the happiest moments spent with his twin like a flash. He composed himself and placed a long lingering kiss on Karan's forehead and pulled him in a bone-crashing hug and breathed in his scent for the last time.
Karan knew, his time with his twin was up.

Leaving his twin the next moment, Samar picked up the bag that was not completely packed and left before his resolve weakened.

Karan was stunned for a moment.

Radhika was still sitting on the cold bed, looking at the plate of food served in her room, thinking if certain someone had eaten. She was startled by the impatient knocks on the door of her room. She quickly straightened her clothes and rushed to open the door. The door opened to reveal disheveled Karan. He did not wait for her questions and grabbed her hand and pulled her along with him. He did not slow down to notice that she was struggling to keep up with his pace, nor did he care to notice that she was already scared and was trying to protest him.

She was heavily breathing when he pushed opened a large room that was dimly lit. She blinked at him with tearful eyes and rubbed her wrist that he had held in a tight hold while he dragged her. Radhika looked around the room and then at Karan, who was busy trying to find something. The room looked like a locker room. Soon enough, a bag was thrusted in her hands. She looked at him with confusion marring her features.

Karan let out a shaky breath.
"He is leaving. Go with him."

Radhika took a full minute to process his words and a low gasp left her lips.
"Where is he going?"

"I wish, I knew. But please go with him. I will be at peace that he is in safe hands." Karan added.

"Why don't you stop him?" She asked.