3. Turns

Life had taken a drastic turn for everyone.

Samar did not know where he was following Radhika. He did not know if he had the right to stay wherever she was taking him, and how long he would be able to occupy the shelter.
The questions were unasked and unanswered.

Radhika in the other hand, was filled with an anticipation.
She did not know if the Prince, who had lived in luxuries all his life, would be able to accommodate himself in her small humble home, even for a few hours. She had glanced at him every now and then, to gauge for any discomfort that harsh train journey followed by the horse carriage might have caused him. But Samar, lost in his own trance failed to give away her answers.
The carriage finally stopped in front of a house, made out of stones and the roof was tiled with red mud roof tiles.
Samar stepped down the carriage and looked at the house and then at Radhika, who was trying to talk something to the carriage owner. The owner nodded and left with the carriage.

Clutching onto the duffle bag tightly, Radhika blinked at Samar and motioned him to enter the house. The sound of the carriage, which was not an often occurance, caught the attention of the residents of the house and they stepped out to see, who had arrived at their place.

Everyone was shocked to see Radhika, and more shocked to see Samar standing at their doorstep.

Radhika stepped forward and hugged her mother, while her grandmother stepped towards Samar, who tightened the hold on his duffle bag, unknowingly.

"Kunwarsa!" The old woman whispered, coming out of the initial shock.
Though no one had seen Samar before, they never in their dreams thought that Samar would come and ever visit them.

Radhika pulled away from her mother's embrace when her grandmother made a bow to Samar out of respect. Though Samar was used to this type of treatment back in the mansion, something broke within him this time.

He had left that life lag way back.

He gulped and looked down, before looking at Radhika, who gave him a small assuring smile and ushered everyone inside the house.
Samar was left no choice but to follow her inside.

The single storey house was painted in natural colours and had minimum furniture made out of bamboo and wood. The living room served as a sleeping room since it had a stack of quilts arranged in a corner, along with a single iron cot.
While everyone was still trying to grasp the fact that Prince Samarsingh Shekhawat is already in their house, Radhika quickly arranged a stool for him and offered him a glass of water.
He accepted the water and realized that he was still being observed by everyone there.

Radhika pulled her younger brother and dragged him along to another room.

"Why didn't you inform us that he was coming? Is he really your husband?" Her brother, Mohit, who was youngest of the siblings, asked.

"That is not important at the moment." Radhika hissed.

"Clear up this room. He will stay with us for a few days." She added.

Her brother took her command seriously and cleaned up the room.
Radhika showed Samar the room and told him about the common bathroom that they shared. He looked around and a feeling of uneasiness made its way to his heart. He was again causing discomfort to someone with his stay there.

******

Meera had waited for her husband the entire night. She had given up on the wait in late hours and preferred to catch up on some sleep.
She was ready for her breakfast when Karan entered the room.

Samar abrupt exit had taken a toll on his emotions. He did not wish to say or do anything that would hurt Meera unknowingly and hence he decided to sleep in the study room. Though he could not make himself sleep, he was sure that Samar was safe, wherever he was.
The news was not received well by his parents. His father was adamant on finding Samar and bringing him back, while his mother was inconsolable. He had a hard time explaining them that Radhika would take good care of him.

"Where were you? I was waiting for you all night." Meera asked in a frustrated tone.

"I was in the mansion itself. If you had taken some efforts, you would have found me in the study room." Karan said in a calm tone.

"Why? Did you forget the route to your bedroom?" She snapped.

"Watch your tone, Meera." Karan raised his voice.

The raised tone did not sit well with Meera. Her temper flared.

"How much more do you want me to suffer? Now that everything is clear, shouldn't you leaving the side of your twin and focusing on your wife for once?"

That snapped the final straw of patience for Karan.
"Stop blaming my brother, Meera. You don't make an effort to know the situation."

"I am tired of this, Karan. When will you understand? I can't see you dancing around your twin all the time. I need my space." Meera said with tightened fists.

Karan's eyes blazed with anger. If it was anyone else, he would not have thought twice before breaking the jaw in one swift motion, but it was his wife in front of him. He clenched his teeth and his jaw ticked.

"Then go back to your parents."

Meera could not tolerate his indifference.
"You want to throw me out of your life?"

Karan pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes briefly. He tried to calm down himself.
"Look Meera, I think, it's better that you go and visit your parents for a few days. Let the situations calm down. We all need to get a grip on our emotions. Go there for a few days. We will think about us later. Now, I really need some me time."

Meera was momentarily taken aback.
"I am not going anywhere. I need you."

"I am here if you need me. But a small distance might clarify our minds. So, please, go for a few days." Karan requested.

Meera shook her head in denial.
"We need you, Karan." She was suddenly helpless.

Karan furrowed his eyebrows.
"We?"

Meera blinked and licked her lips before nodding slightly.
"I am pregnant."

Karan looked at her bewildered. His emotionless gaze lingered on her face for a moment and travelled to her still flat stomach.
He closed his eyes briefly in defeat. When he opened them to look at her, they were filled with determination.

"It is not the right time. We can't have this baby. I will get the appointment today. We are going for abortion." He stated in a no-nonsense tone.

Meera gasped and stepped back.

"What are you saying? It's our baby. We can't give up on him." She said with misty eyes.

A nerve in his brain ticked.
"First learn to be a good human being. Treat the people around you well. Then think of bringing a new life in this world. We are going for abortion today itself."

"I am not coming with you. I am going to my parents." Meera replied, taking one more step back.

Karan was more furious by her defiance.
"Then go. Don't come back until my command is carried out."

Meera looked horrified at his figure that marched to the bathroom. She left the mansion to go to her parents, even before he was done with his shower.

-------------------------------------

Another chapter up.

Vote.
Comment
Love