21. Apprehension

The late night flight from Chennai to Bhopal was scheduled and Radhika looked at the large aircrafts so close for the first time.

She was fascinated as she sat on the couch and looked at the planes landing and taking off, with wide eyes. Samar looked at her and smiled. He discreetly got up and left, without disturbing her from her thoughts.
She blinked rapidly when a cup of coffee was held in front of her eyes and and the strong aroma hit her nostrils. She looked up at her husband and smiled wide, accepting the cup.
He sat beside her and she's looked ahead from the lounge at the aeroplanes.
It was the first time she would travel in a plane. Her heartbeat peaked up at the thought.

Samar wrapped an arm around her shoulders and placed a kiss on her temple. This came so easily for him, but she was flabbergasted and looked around.
He chuckled.
"No one has time to look at others, Radhika."

She pursed her lips as he made fun of her misery.
"That doesn't mean you can do anything." She muttered annoyed

"Anything? What did i exactly do? Explain."

She looked at him and found him smirking. A warm wave of emotions enveloped her and she looked down with a shaking head.
She was happy to see him happy. May this was what the Prince actually was. Playful and full of life. She never got to know. All she ever got was a troubled young man.
But the things were slowly falling in place. He had slowly made his way out of his pain. He was looking forward to live his life. He had tried to put back the dark phase of his life like a bad dream.

Samar did know what suddenly changed. A moment ago, she was all hooked up to the running aeroplanes, but suddenly she appeared lost.

Samar thought she did not like to be affectionate openly and let the matter slide.

Radhika on the other hand, had a different worry eating her insides.

Samar had openly accepted and acknowledged the relationship. But it was when they were only two of them. She never thought that he had a big and intimidating family, the family she had a first hand experience of.
While they boarded the plane and she was offered the window seat by Samar and she looked down at the vast coastal deadline getting smaller and smaller and finally disappearing, she was filled with a fear that she too, would vanish from his life, once more important people surround him.

She recalled her days when she was staying in the mansion. She was warned that she could not contact and communicate with the Prince. It was only Karan who had shared a few words with her and treated her human.
She sighed shakily when she realized that she would be facing Meera and Rama. She blinked when Samar held her cold and clammy hands in his warm large palm and squeezed it gently.

"Are you scared?" He asked looking at her.
He knew it might be first time for her on a flight and it was quite normal to have a rush of fear.
She looked at him to see if he really understood what she was feeling. She just needed an assurance that she would not be left alone to find her way in the huge palace like mansion. He eyes slightly misted and she could not answer.

Samar was taken aback.
"Hey. It's going to be fine. I am here."

Though it was not an assurance she needed. She blinked and nodded. Samar could see that she suddenly went silent. He understood that it was not just the fear of flight, but something else too. He could not put a finger on her troubles but found an urge to make her feel a little better.

He stroked her palm and her knuckles.
"I don't know what you are scared of, Radhika. But just know that you will be safe with me. I will always make sure that your fears, tensions and apprehensions are addressed. You will always have a shoulder to lean on."

His words gave her what she wanted. He need not know her troubles, he was there for her.
She wrapped herself around his left arm and placed her head on his shoulder. He did not care if liked the public display anymore and kissed her head a little longer. She just had to get used to it.

The flight reached Bhopal at around 3 a.m. The travel to Songarh was as long one after the checkout.

She inhaled a deep breath of morning fresh air as they neared Songarh while the east was coloring in the hue of orange and warm gold. The golden orb was yet to be visible.
The cab they hired was running at moderate speed. Samar looked at the surroundings as the warm gush of emotions hit him.
Six months away from home was not easy.

Samar was surprised when he found the the premises of Shekhawat estate were decked up. The sides of the roads were covered with small poles with flower arrangement on the top. Entire estate was lighted up with multicoloured fairy lights and they were glowing in the still dark background.

As they neared the mansion the decorations turned to be more intricate and intriguing.

"What is happening?" Radhika asked bewildered.

"I have no idea." Samar replied looking around from the cab.

He was startled when the cab driver stopped the car.

A sudden commotion took him by surprise and he opened the door and stepped out asking Radhika to stay inside until asked.
He was not expecting a fleet of cars from the mansion.

"Dad!" He exclaimed in surprise when his father royally stepped out and Samar found himself pulled in a bone crashing hug.

He found himself unprepared for this. The sudden overwhelming meeting with his father made it hard to control his emotions. He was in the arms of the man that raised him with love and trusted him when the world refused to believe him.

"How did you know?" Samar asked composing himself and pulling away.

"Karan told us that you would come as soon as the letter reaches you." His father declared.
"We had a man at the airport and Railway Station too, to know which flight or train you would board, so that you could receive the welcome you deserve."

Samar laughed out loud but his eyes had the mist at the thought of unconditional love he had from his family. He was a real fool to leave them all back.
But in the plight to find his true self, he had discovered a beautiful reality of his life.

He took a step back smiling.
"I am not alone, Dad."

His father looked towards the cab.
"Where is Radhika?"

Samar's heart leapt in joy. He turned around and rushed to open the door to let her step out.
"See, who has come to receive us."

Radhika blinked and looked at Samar's father. She was apprehensive about the way he would react on seeing her. Samar held her wrist and gently guided her towards his father. She wrapped the end of the Saree on her shoulder and bent down to touch his feet. Vijaysingh shook his head smiling and held her by her shoulders.

"Daughters don't touch the feet." She was startled when he placed a hand on her head and smiled.
"We did not give a proper welcome that you deserve. I will make it up to you."

She parted her lips in surprise. She did not expect such a warm and humble gesture from him.

"Dad!" Samar exclaimed and found himself at loss of words.

"Get in the car, Sam. We cant keep everyone back at home waiting."

Samar chuckled as he realized there was more drama to come. He looked at the cab driver who was being paid by the mansion staff. The cab driver was happy that he need not go any further, yet got a hefty amount more than the actual fare. The staff paying him looked happy since the Prince was back and that called for celebration.

------------------------------------

Another chapter up.

One more chapter to go and this story will see its end.

30 comments are not too much guys. I have seen a few authors asking for 350 comments.
I recently realized that the number of votes and comments make the story available to a larger audience.

If you think my work deserves respect, please vote and comment so that more people can read it.

Vote and comment
Love