23. Down the Memory Lane

Radhika's eyes had welled up. Her heart raced and her emotions betrayed her as tears slipped down her face.

Samar was no different nor was his mother. For a moment she forgot that she was there to ward off the evil and she leapt in Samar's embrace. He instantly wrapped his arms around his mother and pushed his face in her luscious locks. A familiar warmth surrounded him and he inhaled a lungful of her soothing scent. His heart fluttered at the familiar soothing touch.
He could not help but let the salty stream down his eyes and sniffled lightly, while she broke down in muffled uncontrollable sobs, forgetting for a moment that she was a would-be queen and needed to maintain the composure.

Radhika blinked rapidly to keep her tears at bay, but found herself helpless to do so. When she wiped the tears that rolled down, Samar unwrapped his right arm around his mother and held Radhika's palm and an unsaid assurance instantly seeped in her.
The slight movement brought his mother back to reality and she gently pulled away from his embrace. He smiled at her within his own tears and leaving Radhika's palm, he wiped his mother's tears.
That momentary assurance was enough for Radhika to know that she still held value in his life and he would never sideline her, even in times of distress. She was family and she was as important as his mother.

She looked down and involuntarily let out a deep breath.

She was startled the next moment when Samar's mother called out her name to gain her attention.

Radhika's breath hitched. She did not remember any of the family members apart from Karan, acknowledging her.

"Welcome home. You made my family complete. I can never thank you enough for keeping my son safe and sane." She said as she gently cupped her face in her warm palms.

Radhika was overwhelmed when she was standing close to Samar and his mother warded off of evil eyes.

"Enough of the tears now. I need a happy moment with my twin now." Karan announced loudly, making everyone smile. He was getting upset with all the drama unfolding in front of him.

What startled Radhika was, that Karan held her hand and opened her palm. She blinked when he placed a cold metal in her warm palm. Her already glossy eyes filled up with fresh tears and she looked up at him with a smile that lit up her features.

"The room and it's belongings are as you left them. But I have already prepared a chamber for the future Crown Prince and his wife." Karan stated with a small smile and Radhika instantly furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. She blinked at him and was about to ask what he meant, when Karan took a step ahead towards Samar.

"But do you mind if I steal my twin for a night?" He asked looking at Radhika, making her chuckle.
Karan did not wait and dragged Samar away from the emotional people, who were finding solace in shedding happy tears.

Radhika looked around and found a timid girl standing at the entrance of the kitchen. Her eyes twinkled with happiness as she realized who it was.
Roopa was standing quietly with her own misty eyes, happy that the Prince was finally home.
Roopa's eyes twinkled and she was filled with sweets anticipation. She did not know if Radhika would now recognize her, since the latter was officially the Princess now.

Radhika's breath hitched as she walked closer to the faithful maid, who had once accepted her with open heart. Roopa was not expecting to be pulled into Radhika's embrace. But as soon as she found herself tightly engulfed, she sniffled softly and wrapped her arms around Radhika's timid form.

Malti smiled at the duo when she realized that her daughter-in-law was still able to treat the people below her like family.

While Radhika forgot all about the royal welcome and found herself busy with the maids, knowing about their well-being and getting pampered with hot tea and biscuits, Samar found himself overwhelmed with his twin. He was back to the life that he deserved all along. Radhika was yet to go to her previous room and open the the cupboard that had her previous mangalsutra locked away. She tightened the grip around the key that Karan had handed her. She was instantly taken aback as she did not know if she was allowed to stay with the Prince or would find her life in the room on the second floor of the mansion.

Samar heaved a deep breath as he looked at the beautiful beast that was busy nibbling on the green grass that lay in front of him. Badal was unaware that his true master was back.

"He looks beautiful." Samar could not help but whisper in awe.

"He still doesn't let anyone mount him. He is a bit cranky after you left. He misses you, Sam." Karan replied.

Samar looked at him. It was long since anyone addressed him by that short name.

Samar walked towards the horse and as if on cue, Badal looked up to find his master. The horse neighed loudly and raised his fore legs as if to greet the master. He could not contain his excitement when Samar came closer and as soon as the horse dipped his head, Samar wrapped his arms around Badal's neck. A warm kiss behind the ears and the forehead was enough to calm the beast down.

Samar mounted the horse and it was filled with unmatched joy as Badal again raised his forelegs and neighed loudly before taking off at its full speed.

Karan watched the duo with a smile on his lips.
Little did he know, the ride would change something for Samar.

Samar's heart pounded in his chest as Badal matched with the speed of the wind. The vast property was like a small playground and Badal was left with a motive to let his master have a time of his own.
With no restraints, Badal was moving at an insane speed but the familiar surroundings took Samar back to the last time he had with Badal.
It was the same day that he came back to witness his dead bride.

He did not want to retreat to the dark phase, but the thoughts, the memories were out of his control.

His grip loosened on the reigns.

Badal must have noticed the distress of his master and he instantly slowed down. When there was no much response, the intelligent animal brought his master back to where Karan was.

Karan who was expecting an excited animal along with his joyous twin was taken aback when he realized that Badal came back, walking slow and his twin was as pale as a ghost.

----------------------------------------

Looks like I can't end the story so soon.

Few more chapters coming up.

Vote and comment

Love