Part 5

It had been two days since your encounter with Mr. Amato. [Sister's Name] was still unconscious. Nobody had any idea of what you were going through. You had missed calls from Boboiboy, Yaya, and Ying but you didn't have the heart to talk to anyone. 

You were sure Boboiboy would have shown up at your apartment with Yaya and Ying knocking on the neighbors' door and demanding an answer. But how can you tell him? 

You knew that if you told Boboiboy, he would drop everything and never leave your side. Maybe if Mr. Amato hadn't shown up you would have called Boboiboy but now things were different. You cannot drag Boboiboy along with you. 

Mr. Amato was right he had bigger responsibilities and you were a liability. As you waited outside [Sister's Name]'s room waiting for the nurse to finish her check up your mind went back to your conversation with Mr. Amato...

"How can I be of any help to you, Sir?"

"[Name], I will get straight to the point. It is highly unlikely that you could take up that scholarship now. Even if you postpone your admission things are..going to be tough for [Sister's Name]..". He leaned back in the metal chair. He had you right where he wanted.

Mr. Amato was a well-known businessman who was known for his ruthless nature and sharp mind. He always got what he wanted. When he got to know that his niece..his only niece... The future heir to Amato group was dating some lowly girl on financial aid, he knew he had to get you out of his way. 

You were an anomaly in his perfectly crafted plan even if you were a hero once. So when he got to know about [Sister's Name], he realized he had found your weakness. Now he was going to leverage it to get his niece back since the father is always away. This was going to be a profitable deal for him...

"I don't understand..what do you mean by tough?"

"[Name] often in cases such as that of [Sister's Name], Prolonged medical care is required and we can never be sure that that tumor might not flare up again. Even after a successful surgery, there can be many complications. I truly wish that your sister recovers and goes on to live a healthy life but that can only happen if her surgery happens on time. I have known you for a long time and I will make sure that your sister receives the best treatment in the country. In return, you will have to give up your scholarship.."

You stared at him dumbfounded. Give up the one thing you had worked so hard for? But if it meant that you would get to save [Sister's Name] then you would. You knew She had sacrificed a lot for you. Worked multiple jobs just so you could study in a good school. It was your turn to return the favor.

"Okay. If that's what it takes, But I want [Sister's Name] to be fine. If anything happens to her-". Your words died down in your throat as tears pooled in your eyes. Mr. Amato got up from his seat and walked towards yours. He kept a hand on your shoulder reassuringly and spoke "Don't worry. [Sister's Name] will be fine".

That was two days ago. Now you are here in one of the best hospitals in the country. The floors were polished marble and the air didn't have the strong scent of disinfectant instead it smelled like lavender. You could see doctors from all around the world walk by. 

The room where [Sister's Name] lay was one of the VIP rooms. It was bigger than your whole apartment. The room had two beds. Both are bigger than your beds back home. Even the bathrooms were unlike anything you had ever seen. All this without spending a penny out of your pocket. You took your seat next to [Sister's Name]'s bed. She looked at peace. 

She is all you have ever known. Those people in photographs whom you considered as mom and dad were fictional characters for you. You longed for them like one longs for a comfort character but at the end of the day, they were always a character in your sister's story. But [Sister's Name], she was real. As she lies in front of you, you realize she looks a lot like your mother. Same U-shaped face. Pointed nose. The shape of her lips.