Part 15

Layla looked up at the creme-colored ceiling as her back pressed against the soft silk sheets. This was a welcomed feeling after sleeping in the hospital waiting room for two days. 

She thought about her father and how his head hung low in shame because of her. How he didn't speak a word to her for the entirety of the car ride. How he refused to look at her as her mother ran and hugged her. 

She pulled a pillow over her face and screamed into it. Screamed in frustration at losing everything in just two days, things that she had worked for, for the past 8 years. The only dream she harbored was to make her father proud, the only man she carried in her heart, Boboiboy Amato.

Everything was ruined. Everything. Now she was reduced to just a working-class slave who lived in a mansion.

She screamed and she screamed till her throat gave up. When the anger subsided, it was replaced by sadness. She heaved as he wiped her tears from her eyes and wondered where she went wrong.

Sure she regretted everything she had done, she regretted telling her uncle about you. When she saw you in the hospital, lying unconscious as Boboiboy whispered threats into her ear, she realized what she had done. 

She wanted to apologize to you but the guards stopped her and now... Now her own father refused to even look at her.

No ego ever survives the test of time and her ego was crushed under your kindness. Even the mightiest of rulers had to fall from grace, and she was no ruler, she was a mere pawn in the hands of Boboiboy Amato. 

She had witnessed firsthand his insanity, his wrath, his desperation, his want..and what he was willing to do. It scared her to think what he might do to her, she could not flee this punishment and would have to walk the plank with her head held high even if she knew she was going to fall in the end.

She thought about you, You who didn't come from money or social connections, a stranger in this gilded world of hers, and wondered what Boboiboy saw in you. 

Why was it you and not her? In her plan of winning over Boboiboy to impress her father, she ended up falling for him. She knew everything about him, what he liked, what he disliked, and more. 

She knew the measurements of his suits, the kind of shoes he preferred, the kind of watches he liked but never bought, and yet he never noticed any of it... All he saw was you... Why were gods so unfair to her? Why can't anything go her way?

She wiped the last of tears and decided that she was going to carve out her own path. She was going to take charge of her own destiny, one in which she would always get what she wanted. 

Her phone rang by her side and she picked it up to see a list of instructions from Yaya. Right...She takes instructions from Yaya now...

Yaya: Pick up the phone and other documents for Ms. [Name] from the office and bring it to the hospital by noon.

Layla scoffed at the message. Ms. [Name]? Why was everyone treating you like you were the head of the Amato group? You probably didn't even have to do anything anymore as everything was done for you by others, by people like her.

She greeted her father the next morning at breakfast but was met with the same stone-cold face. He folded his newspaper and kept it on the table. 

"I'm leaving for work" He announced to his wife as he picked up his briefcase.

"You should drop Layla at work," Her mom said looking at her and Layla excitedly got up.

Her father turned towards her with a frown on his face. "Layla, You have disgraced our family. You have no right to even be under this roof. But because you are my blood I cannot throw you out on the streets but let me make myself very clear, From today... You will receive no favors from anyone in this family. I have spoken to my accountant and your account will be frozen today. You will spend what you earn, If you want to go to work then either buy a car or take the bus I do not care...I have had enough of you"