CHAPTER 16

Jasmine's POV 

With a smug smile still on my face, I watched the car ahead drive into the mansion and ours followed.

It drives in for a while till it gets to the parking lot. I spare Mr. Moore a glance who is still looking confused and shocked as the car halts to a stop.

Before I can help myself out, the door is thrown open from outside by one of Xavier's dark-looking men. The moment I step out, trying to look as gracious as possible since I have to act like the person he thought he got married to, my eyes meet his.

He is standing right beside the guard who opened the door for me. It looks like he is waiting for me so we can make an appearance today since we are married.

The smile on my face disappears when he appears from nowhere and stretches his arm for me to take.

He is sinfully handsome but I can't admire him because I hate him. I hate everything about him. 

His manipulative ways.

His cold heart.

And his cruelty.

"Shall we?" he calls out, jerking me back to life. I don't want to be deceived by his change in behavior today. I don't want to be deceived by the way he is looking at me either.

He must be damn happy to have achieved his aim and this is beginning to raise my curiosity about why he was so bent on getting married to her and no one else.

Reminding myself about what I need to do to defy him, I entangle my arms with his.

Then he begins to walk towards the garden. This is when I see the beautiful decorations in the big garden and the numerous number of guests already seated.

As we approach, Xavier's smile widens, making me almost roll my eyes at him. 

Finally, the devil's bruised ego has been mended, I think to myself.

When we get to the garden, I take note of all the strange faces. None of them seems to be smiling like he is. They all have serious expressions on their faces but one woman catches my attention.

She has gray hair. She looks quite old but agile and fit.

She flashes me a smile and within a second, it is gone. 

As Xavier greets some of the old men at a table close to the woman, I keep watching her. She doesn't seem to notice me as she continues to press on her phone reminding me of the fact that I don't have a phone anymore.

I haven't seen my phone since the night in Chicago.

Now that we are married, he might treat me right. Not like the prisoner he has been treating me as since I got to New York.

"What a beautiful bride", one of the men compliments, making me stare back with eyes blinking rapidly. 

He stretches his hand and I slip my left hand into it while my right hand is still entangled with Xavier.

With a wink, he pecks my hand.

They are all dressed in black suits. And dangerous looking, making me raise a brow at Xavier and wondering the exact type of family he came from.

I haven't been introduced to his parents yet.

The man says something in Italy and they all chuckle, except for Xavier whose look becomes rigid. We leave the table and walk around, as he introduces me to almost everyone as his wife.

Isn't this obvious?

Why the hell is it making it look like there is more to all of this? Who is he trying to impress?

When we get to the woman's table, another lady is sitting across from her. They both stand up like the other men to greet us.

I wish I could understand the language they are speaking but I can't.

The old woman stretches her hand for a handshake and I take it, not allowing my mind to dwell too much on the reason why she is acting like those men.

I was expecting her to engulf me in a hug. I was thinking she is going to be introduced to me as Xavier's mom or aunt but he isn't doing any introductions.

My gaze shifts to the other lady.

She is young. Extremely young.

She examines me from head to toe before glancing away, staring at Xavier.

Something is off.

These people don't like me, especially this young lady.

Who is she? Who are they?

"Kindly excuse us to go change. My bride and I will be back downstairs in a bit", he informs them. They both bow as we leave.

My curiosity is at its peak now and I wish I could ask him all the questions in my mind but I know I can't.

I know he won't answer me.

"I will have your things moved before the party is over. Get dressed quickly and come downstairs", his aggressive, authoritative voice is back.

To be honest, his soft side from earlier this morning was extremely strange but I think I prefer that attitude to this harsh one.

It makes my skin crawl. It makes me scared.

I don't say a word as he lets me go when we get to my door. Instantly, he turns back and leaves.

I stand still for a while, thinking over everything that has happened in a flash, as though it's been a year out here.

Like a dream, I am married. Not to a man I love. Not to a man I know. Not to a man I have hopes of having a future with. Not with a man I have the slightest hope of loving either.

A total stranger who won't believe a single word I say. A devil who calls himself human. A man who hates me with everything in him 

A surge of energy rushes down my spine as I grab the door handle to enter. The makeup artist is already in my room and also Diane and Elena.

They rush at me immediately, getting to work as the simple wedding dress is peeled off me. I can't even say a word of protest right now with the urgency in their action.

They are all scared of him. They are scared of what he would say if I don't come out for the party on time.

With his thoughts all over my mind, I almost forgot what I intended to do is to irk him. But as soon as I am fully dressed in a sexy black sleeveless one shoulder long dress, I recall my intentions and smirk with pride.

"Excuse me", I say to them all as Diane tries to help me put on my shoes. She stops. "I said excuse me."

She shares a look with Elena.

"We have to get you downstairs in two minutes, my lady", Elena speaks on her behalf.

"We are done, aren't we? Excuse me, please!" I didn't intend for that to come out loud and harsh but it did.

My head clicks as I realize she just called me my lady. Really? Is this what this is all about?

Great then.

Xavier doesn't get to throw the orders around alone anymore. I should take solid advantage of this situation.

I point to the door and they all go out, including the shaky make-up artist. The make up from earlier is still on and I don't need to wipe it off for another.

With a satisfactory sigh, as I watch myself in the mirror in front of me, seated on the wooden chair, I bend down slightly to fix the heels on.

A stiletto heels. 

Black heels too.

What the hell is going on here? Why do I have to wear black on our wedding day? Everyone is in black and I'm sure Xavier would never put on a different color today despite it being our wedding day.

He must be obsessed with this color but I hate it.

With a low grunt of frustration, I put on the shoe. 

I guess my plan should work well then. Giving the color of the day a touch of something beautiful shouldn't hurt.

It will make everything unique.

And stain whatever jinx this is all about.

I rise instantly, conscious of the time that I have to be out. Carefully, I release the beautiful ribbons from my hair and unhook the white veil.

I don't need it.

My hair will replace it.

Expertly, I drag the black colour hair wig off my head, leaving me with that strange white hair that has made me embarrassed all my life. I was almost stigmatized because of this and that made me change who I was.

I have been wearing a wig for half my life. Just to avoid the attention I get each time I step out into my real self.

But today should be different.

It's our wedding day.

I'm sure Andre would do something much more than this. She seems like a courageous lady, not a scared cat like me.

She seems to me like a woman who would defy him or anyone else. She doesn't care how dangerous he is.

For the first time, I feel a slight bit of admiration for her personality. She has been in hiding for months and the mighty Xavier can't even find her.

Wow.

I brush my hair with my fingers, letting it slip down my back over my dress.

Satisfied with how I look, I smile into the mirror and move outside, waving away the fear clawing at my belly at Xavier's reaction when he sees me.

When I throw the door to my room open, Elena, Diane and the make-up artist stare at me with horror as I walk past them.

Thankfully, the garden isn't too far from the main house so I stroll with confidence towards it. Instantly, I spot Xavier.

He has changed his wedding suit too but the color is still the same. A black tuxedo makes him look smoking hot with his shiny Italian leather shoes.

That would cost a fortune but I wonder who cares when he doesn't change his wardrobe color.

With determination, I walk closer till the pianist plays a note which alerts the audience's attention that the bride is here.

Xavier looks up from what he is doing and our eyes interlock.

A gasp followed by low murmurs fill the air but I don't take my gaze away from him.

He is expressionless for a while till I am right in front of him with a light smile on my face. Then I see it.

The effort he is making from grabbing me by the hair and dragging me back inside to put on the black wig back.

But I am determined.

Determined to start being myself now, while acting like Andre. Now, I am both Jasmine and Andre and there is absolutely nothing Xavier can do to change that.

After all, we are married now.

****
❤️