CHAPTER 48

Xavier's POV 

"Say that again", I growl, daring her to repeat what she just said to me but her red lips only squirmer, making me do the only thing in my head ever since I saw her in that sequin gold dress with a black pleated skirt.

I slam my lips to hers, uncaring about being outside the car while she is already seated.

All I needed to do was to lean forward and my lips touch hers. 

I am thinking she will stiffen, push me away and slap me across the face but none of that is happening.

I don't wait a second before moving my lips on her, her sweet breath pushing me over the edge as I lean forward, making her almost lay on the car seat.

With my two hands, I support her back so she won't fall on the seat. Instinctively, her hands find my hair as we continue to kiss each other as if our lives depend on it.

I don't know why I am doing this but I am wondering if she already had a drink or two for her to allow this.

She was just too hot in that dress, coupled with the red lipstick she had on her lips, making me feel proud to have a woman like her as my wife.

I did have to remind myself she was my woman. 

My wife.

And I can have her when I want to. I can also kiss her too if I want to and that is what is happening now.

As one of her hands slides close to my face, shivers run through me but I want to be in control so I trace a finger over her throat, dropping below her collarbone.

Suddenly, she goes still and stops kissing me. When I open my eyes, she is staring directly into my eyes.

Then she pulls away, breathing heavily just like I am.

This is when I notice the strap of her dress is halfway down. Blushing red in the face, she looks away.

If there is no evidence in the world to tell me that this isn't Andre, then this shyness and the way she also kissed me back with the same fervor is enough evidence.

Andre would never do that. Andre hates my gut. She hates everything about me and would rather die than kiss me.

What I find intriguing about Jasmine on the other hand is this shyness. The confidence to tell me to fuck off pulled me over the edge because it comes once in a blue moon. She is mostly shy all the time and scared of me.

The mixture of these two things is what I like about her. 

Without a word, she glance my way as I continue to stand outside the car watching her red face.

She grabs the door handle, slightly pushing me away from it before slamming it shut. A smirk leaves my mouth.

Before I can turn to the other side to get into the car, my phone rings, reminding me of how I got a call earlier before seeing Jasmine entering the club with Sophia.

I pick up. "Yes?"

"Mathew and Andrew is here", Ethan's voice booms into the phone, making me raise a brow.

"I will be there in a jiffy", I say to him before disconnecting the call.

This is one of the reasons why I want us to leave Grandma's place tonight. First, I have businesses to attend to in my mansion and I can't continue lying to her about Jasmine being Andre. Now that Sophia is even in the picture, she might figure out that they are two different people.

If I hadn't fed Grandma with those lies, I know she is smart enough to know something is amiss. Besides, I want Jasmine right next to me. Sebastian is still out there, waiting for another opportunity to strike.

I won't let that happen. I will make sure the next time we see, he will end up dying in the pool of his own blood, just like his boss, Vicenzo.

I wonder how they got to know I killed him. This is like declaring a war against the Mafia group of Chicago but I don't care.

No one messes me with me. No one touches my woman and goes scot-free.

I take long strides over to the other side of the car which is already open by the driver. I enter and sit next to Jasmine who is avoiding my gaze.

As soon as the car roars to life, she asks me. "Why did you kill Vicenzo?"

Honestly, I thought we were done with this conversation already. I never knew she was still going back to it but I guess her curiosity to know now overrides her fear of what I am capable of.

"Did you kill him because of what he did to me or because you two were rivals and you saw it as a good opportunity…."

"Can you please change the topic?" I demand harshly from her, facing her squarely now. 

Vicenzo is the least of my problems. How to get Sebastian and stop him from attacking again is the next thing to do.

Why can't she just forget about him?

For no reason, a pang of jealousy hits me in the chest. Why the hell does she care about his death or even why he was killed in the first place? She is sounding like someone who cares and I hate it.

He harassed her. 

"How do you expect me to pretend as if he didn't die when his men are after me now?" she sounds so upset. Her eyes are red too.

"You don't need to be worried about that. I have everything under control and I assure you that Sebastian won't get to you", I assure her, hoping this is enough to tell her not to worry about either of them.

She shakes her head, not convinced by my words but remains silent.

I think we are finally done with the conversation until she asks again. "Did you ask him about me in Chicago?"

I don't need a soothsayer to tell me the point she is driving at. She is asking about the story of her stay in Chicago and how she got to know Vicenzo through Sebastian who was the one interested in her before Vicenzo became obsessed.

I didn't ask Vicenzo. I was tempted to but I was scared of the truth. I didn't even see the need to because it was glaring to the eyes. The truth is right here in the open.

"No", I answer honestly, looking away.

"Why?" her voice is cracking now as though she is about to cry. "You should have asked him. You should have at least done that for me before killing him since that is what you are good at. All these while, you never believed a word I said about being a different person from that spoiled brat who ran away from marrying you. Now I see the reason why she ran and if I was in her shoes, I would do the same."

I narrow my gaze to her, feeling a pang of hurt at her choice of words. Obviously, she isn't done as she continues. "There was a chance to see if I was speaking the truth or not. Vicenzo was right there at your mercy and you could have asked him who Jasmine Cooper is but you didn't and I know why. It's because of your stupid, bruised ego and your selfish, narcissistic nature."

She finally stops, breathing hard and crying quietly before lapsing into silence.

I am guilty as charged but I don't regret it. The only thing I regret is not getting my hands on Andre tonight.

If only I did, I would have a good way of pouring out my aggression.

But she is nowhere to be found yet again and I won't stop until I find her. Until then, I won't tell Jasmine the truth about knowing she isn't Jasmine right from the second day of her wedding and the reason why I still have her with me.

The car drives into the mansion and stops in the garage.

Before the driver can come out to get the door for me, I open it and walk out, without waiting for Jasmine or sparing her a glance to see if she is still crying.

****
❤️