CHAPTER 22

Jasmine's POV 

My lashes flutter open to meet the intense gaze of a blue-eyed man who looks murderous.

Frozen with terror, my heart begins to pound hard in my ribcage watching him stare at me with so much intensity and feeling a lump of dread at the closeness of his body to mine.

He is laying on his side with his head resting on his hand, not shifting his gaze from me and making me more uncomfortable.

"How do you feel?" he finally breaks the silence just when I am about to avert my gaze from his handsome face.

Confusion clouds my mind as I furrow a brow, wondering why he is asking me such a question.

I am about to ask him what he means by that when it clicks.

Last night at the party, I saw Vicenzo and Sebastian. Then what happened? Did they attacked me?

But then I can't remember anything else.

"You don't remember?" he demands, not looking surprised.

My face turns red as I shake my head.

He nods in understanding and pulls away, strolling towards the closet. "You were drugged by one of my business associates last night. It was meant to be a way to get at me so I'm sorry I put you into this."

As he tells me, I begin to feel weak all of a sudden as the memories come back.

I was drugged? Really?

Is Vicenzo his business associate? How? Why does he think this was meant to get to him? Should I tell him I know Vicenzo?

I don't blame him because I feel Vicenzo did that because it was me, not because I was Xavier's wife. This was meant to be a payback time for running off and rejecting him.

Xavier whirls around immediately, his brows raised, probably because I am not saying a word.

I sit upright, looking away and thinking of how to tell him I know Vicenzo and that he shouldn't blame himself for what happened.

"Are you ok?" The care I detect in his voice makes me raise my head to see him already standing in front of me with creases of worry etched on his forehead.

It makes me feel warm. 

It makes me want to disclose the fact that I know Vicenzo just so he can always feel this way towards me and never go back to being harsh and cold to me.

He is already in a pair of shorts and a black shirt, making me assume he didn't sleep a wink last night because he felt bad for me which was why I woke up to see him watching me this morning.

"I'm fine, Xavier", I answer and he nods but continues to stare at me. Quilt sips through me as we watch each other. It feels like he is trying to read through me. 

What if he ends up knowing that Vicenzo and I know each other from way back? 

Suddenly, an idea hits me.

This is a good way to make it known that I am not her. I am not Andre.

Vicenzo and I have known each other for more than two years now. Andre left home twelve months back. There is a huge difference and gap and I am sure he is intelligent enough to figure things out without anything else.

A surge of pride swells up inside of me. Before I can say a word, he walks back to the closet.

"Xavier, why do you think you were responsible for what happened last night?" I question him immediately so I don't end up not finding my voice.

He turns around slowly, his broad shoulder tense with dark squinted eyes.

"What do you mean?"

It doesn't sound like a question. It sounds like a challenge. 

"Vicenzo didn't hurt me because I am your wife which he obviously knows by now, he hurt me because I am me."

He does not seem to comprehend my words and I don't have a better way to express my mind. 

Silence ensues and I am thinking he will wave it away like every other thing when he suddenly speaks up. "You know Vicenzo?"

I nod gingerly, glad that we are getting somewhere. "From way back. Chicago."

With his hands on his hips, his face becomes red with anger and fear crawls back into my heart at his expression. I decide to continue talking even if he doesn't want to hear me at all. This is an opportunity I shouldn't take for granted.

If he doubts me, then he can ask Vicenzo himself about it. The only difficulty here is that Vicenzo has become an enemy since he hurt me and the Xavier I am beginning to know won't forgive him for that.

I remember how he slapped one of his men the night they found me. One of them pushed me roughly and he slapped him hard on the face because of that.

It reminds me of how he mentioned that he doesn't hurt women and now that I am his wife, I am sure he will do all he can to protect me just like he did that night and even last night when he made an appearance and relief washed through me.

"He is a Mafia. One of his men, Sebastian, wouldn't stop pestering him. He would come to my place of work and cause a lot of ruckus just to gain my attention. One night, he smacked my ass and I slapped him. I didn't mean to but I guess my hands reacted before I could think of the consequences. That got the attention of their boss and it was a huge twist. What I expected was for him to order me killed for daring to slap him but instead, Vicenzo became interested in me as well and asked me out. I wanted to reject him but I couldn't. He was deadly. I was scared of him. I knew what he was capable of so I didn't say a word. He asked that I come with him on a date which I agreed but I didn't show up that night. Instead, I packed my things and left there for somewhere else. I haven't seen him since then until last night."

I breathe out, beads of cold sweat dripping down my forehead and waiting patiently for Xavier to say something.

That will determine whether he believes me or not. I know he might think I am making this up too but I have evidence. Vicenzo is that evidence as well as Sebastian.

It's just a little too late because we are married already. But at least, I know things will change between us. I don't need to suffer for the mistake of another woman.

When he isn't saying a word after five minutes, I decide to chip in. "You don't need to feel sorry for me or think this is because of you. This was supposed to happen years back for the rejection but it seems yesterday seemed like a perfect opportunity to get his revenge and thankfully you were there to save me from his wrath. I'm sure he won't try to hurt…."

The stamping of feet on the floor makes me stop abruptly and I look up immediately to see Xavier with his balled-up fist and tightened chin, stalking to the door.

Without a word from him or a glance, he takes the exit out with his booted feet making that sound as he slams the door shut.

My mouth is agape as I look around me, asking within me if this is his reaction to the fact that he believes my story or if he doesn't.

Before I can recover from the shock of what he just did, the door is thrown open again and he walks in just the way he left.

He stands by the door, looking extremely mad.

Is he mad at me or mad at Vicenzo? Does he believe me?

I am still sitting in bed as I stare at him wondering what the hell is going through his mind.

"Do not leave this house without my permission. Do not even take a step out of this room without a guard. Understood?"

That tone is back.

That harsh, rude, authoritative and loud voice he always throws around, makes me think this is not a good idea. Telling him about Vicenzo isn't helping. I thought it would.  I thought it would change things between us. I thought he would feel pity at least for me or sheer sympathy for what he has been doing to an innocent woman like me.

But obviously, I am wrong yet again.

The plan is not working.

After nodding, he goes out again and slams the door shut, making me jerk up in fright at the sound.

****
What do you think? Is Xavier going to believe her or pretend not to know the truth?

Air your views and don't forget to vote❤️