CHAPTER 59

Jasmine's POV 

A shiver of anticipation darts down my spine as soon as we are out of Ethan's sight. However, I notice how stiff Mr. Moore is still right beside me and I see his fists clench with his jaws in obvious anger.

It makes me wonder if he is mad at me or someone else.

The thought alone almost makes me give up on telling him what I saw and heard and asking him what he knows.

But I know I need to do this.

I need his help.

Xavier will only believe me. He doesn't even believe Mr. Moore when he told him I wasn't his daughter so how will he believe Frank who isn't Andre's father?

Even though we are on good terms now, Xavier will always be a jerk.

Finding a seat right outside the mansion, I flop down heavily expecting him to do the same but he only stands, staring at me with a distant look on his face.

"Mr. Moore?" I rise immediately with concern, my hand touching his tense shoulder. "Are you ok? Is everything alright?"

As though my words are what is making him come back to reality, he nods vigorously with a half smile. "Yes, sure. How have you been?" 

He finally moves to sit opposite me. Just then, I catch sight of Ethan again at the entrance watching us and not attempting to come closer.

Rage bubbles into my throat. But on second thought, I know he is doing his work.

Xavier will be mad at him if he doesn't follow me around.

I take my eyes off him and settle then on the silent Mr. Moore. Remembering he just asked me a question, I adjust and answer. "I am good, you?"

Deep down, I also want to ask him if he knew his wife knew about Andre's whereabouts all along. In fact, I have this devilish idea that Mr Moore might also have known but decided to pretend not to know, knowing full well that Xavier's ego will never let him believe whatever he says.

I shake my head at the thought. I want to trust him. I want to trust Mr. Moore. No other man would have stood up for me the way he did that day, knowing well enough what Andre was bound to suffer if caught.

He insisted that I wasn't her but his wife didn't even though she knew.

She is the mother. Andre came out of her. She knew. She is just too selfish to admit that I am not Andre.

"Are you friends with Frank Costello?" I ask him when he is saying anything else. I am surprised I remember the man's full name. I guess this is where I should start my investigations from.

He chuckles, his Adam's apple popping up and down as he shakes his head. "He is more than a friend. He is my boss just like Xavier."

I do not understand what sort of boss he means but I nod notwithstanding. 

"There is something I need to tell you", I voice out eventually, leaning forward with anxiety. I watch his expressionless face before announcing. "I saw her."

Condition clouds his face and I decide to be more straightforward. Clearing my throat as though I am about to announce the biggest news in history, I mutter. "I saw Andre. In Italy."

Silence falls.

His face falls too. With creases of frowns on his brows. Just like the one Xavier had when I told him I saw Andre. 

That kind of disbelief look that gets my heart racing.

"I saw Andre in Italy", I repeat what I said earlier, expecting another reaction from him but there is nothing. "And I saw your wife too in Italy."

He jerks upright, his jaws clenched hard. "What?!"

Finally! I thought to myself.

"Yes", I sit upright too. "I saw them. At first, I thought I was only imagining things when I saw Andre but it turned out it was her and the same night, I met your wife at a club. Obviously, that was where she intended to meet with Andre. She knew all along that I was her but pretended to Xavier just to protect her daughter. If only I was patient enough, maybe Andre would have appeared too but she didn't before I showed my face to her. You should have seen the look on her face when I came out of my hiding…", I trail off, expecting him to nod at me, urging me to go on but his face is pale white in extreme shock.

I knew it.

He doesn't know about this.

I think he will begin to question me about where exactly I saw Andre, I wait but he is mute.

And he is avoiding my gaze.

"Remember you promised to help me. Now I need that help. I need you to help me find her as soon as you can so I can leave here. Xavier won't believe anyone until we bring her here. He doesn't even believe Frank…"

"Frank?" he demands, lifting his head suddenly as he interrupts me.

I bite my lips in regret. I don't even know the kind of relationship they have yet I am blurting out information like this.

"What has Frank Costello got to do with this?"

At this point, I don't know whether telling him what I heard is still a good idea or not.

After deciding and hoping it won't backfire and Xavier won't get to know any of this, I whisper. "Frank believes I am not Andre and I heard him telling Xavier that Andre is a twin."

I am sure that was what I heard.

"What?!" Mr. Moore shoots to his feet, startling me. I rise too, worry etching in my expression.

"Are you ok?"

I was supposed to be shocked too, hearing that but I wasn't. Perhaps it is because I never want to have the kind of life she has. Or maybe it is all because of her mother. I don't like her. And I don't even believe that Andre and I are twins.

If we truly are, Mr Moore ought to know. His wife is supposed to know too. If she knew, she would never want to sacrifice me for her precious spoiled brat of a daughter.

"Frank told Xavier that?" he questions, his chest rising up and down. 

I regret saying this too. Maybe I should have just kept quiet and mind my business instead.

Slowly, I nod.

He tries to move out when I rush forward to block with my arms spread wide. "You haven't answered me. You promised to help me. I need to find Andre soon. I need your help to convince Xavier. Please, Mr. Moore, tell me if you know where she is and if you don't, let's find her. She is in Italy now and this is the best opportunity…"

"She is no longer in Italy", he cuts me short with a loud voice.

I almost let out a gasp.

She is not in Italy? Then where is she now? How did he know? Did he know when she was in Italy? 

"I know I promised to help you but…"

"But?" I scoot back in fear. Is he going back on his word?

"Listen to me", his voice is calm now. "I will still help you but you need to give me time."

"That is what I don't have. I also have a life. Having to represent your daughter for more than two months is enough. Do you know where she is?"

He remains quiet for a while before nodding. I am tempted to ask him how he knew but I know it will look as though I am doubting him. I asked him to help me look for her and that must be what he is doing for him to have known where she is now.

"Where is she?!" I find myself shaking like a leaf, staring at him squarely to catch sight of any wavering emotion.

He opens his mouth but before he can answer me, a familiar voice interrupts. "What are you two doing out here?"

I shift my gaze to the figure standing a few distance away from us. Ethan is still in position and Xavier is staring angrily at Mr. Moore as if he had done something wrong.

I watch him carefully to know if he heard us or not. 

Mr. Moore smiles at me once again before muttering as he walks past Xavier. "Good day, Xavier."

****
❤️