CHAPTER 90

Jasmine's POV 

With a blindfold over my face and after several attempts to get him to spill the beans about where we are going, the car comes to an abrupt stop.

From the screeching sound, I can tell it is on sandy ground. It pricks my hibernating curiosity and I turn around unable to see anything.

Finally, I felt his touch after hearing the sound of the car door opening. He places his hand on my back and another on my lap. Then he helps me out of the car without a word.

Where are we? What is happening? What surprise awaits me here?

I can't help but wonder, managing to hide away the fear gnawing at my heart as I push down the choking tide of panic building.

Unable to hold it back any longer, I voice out barely in a whisper. "Where are we, Xavier?"

He hushes me up as he helps me take slow steps on the sandy ground towards somewhere. The cool air hits my face as soon as we come to a stop. 

I am tempted to pull off the tight blindfold and look around. As if hearing my thought, he holds my two hands but I can't tell if it's from behind.

Wanting to use my discretion to figure out where we are, I bite my lower lip and pay close attention to the sound close by. 

The sound of water waves comes first before Xavier breaks the silence. "We are here, Annabel."

He calls me Annabel now. I haven't gotten used to that name yet even though my mom and I are now closer to each other than ever before. 

The bond between Dad and I is still there. From the very first time we met, without even knowing he was my father or I was his daughter, we bonded well.

I liked him.

I still prefer Jasmine.

That's what Aunt calls me even after visiting New York and hearing everything that has happened right from how I found myself in New York because I was mistaken to be Andre and also to the point of seeing my real parents and hearing their side of the story.

She wept. 

We cried together. 

When Xavier's hand touches the back of my head where the blindfold is tied, it breaks into my thoughts and I stand at attention, my heart pounding wildly.

Despite the different ruminating thoughts in my head and the spinning questions, I haven't found an answer to the question of where we are.

Slowly, he takes the blindfold off and I try to adjust my eyes to the darkness at first before a flash of light appears. Then the sound of the waves becomes louder.

The boat house.

We are at the boat house.

Excitement runs through me as I whip my head around his way to see him grinning.

"I noticed how you were stealing glances at the painting yesterday so I thought of bringing you back here as I promised", he mutters nonchalantly while I jump into his arms.

Before I can enjoy the moment of being in his arms on a Sunday evening while watching the water splash back and forth, he stretches the blindfold again, making me raise a brow.

"One more surprise", he points out a finger in demonstration.

Before I can protest, he places the blindfold over my eyes and ties it instantly.

My mouth hangs open.

"Shall we?" 

With a tense nod and a shiver of anticipation rippling through me again, I trot after him with his hand holding mine.

I keep counting each second as we walk, forcing myself not to think about what the next surprise is and if there are any more surprises aside from this.

I can't even believe Xavier is doing all of this. He doesn't seem to be like a romantic man who would go out of his way to please his woman but seeing how much effort he is exerting these past few days, I guess I am wrong about my assertions.

He is not a hopeless romantic like I think he is.

He halts and I do too, almost bumping into him. There is nothing but silence. I can't perceive his cologne. He isn't saying anything.

A strange rush of cold engulfs me and I shiver in fear. "Xavier?"

There is no reply.

"Xavier?" I call out again, this time more loudly. I cock my head and it reminds me of the blindfold. Instinctively, I find my hand making its way to it when a hand stops me.

"Xavier?!" I call again as I jerk upright. He doesn't reply but lays his head on the crook of my neck, easing my tension. He trails kisses on my neck before wrapping his hands around my waist.

"Xavier?" I call again, wanting a reply of assurance that it is indeed him even though I know the warmth within me would be absent if it wasn't him.

"I love you", he replies instead before letting go of my waist and pulling off the blindfold. He spins me around, holding me gently at the lower back as he puts his arms up around the back of my neck, kissing me.

The sweetness of his lips almost takes my breath away. He tightens his hold on me as he pulls me closer. He slips his tongue deeper into my mouth, exploring and demanding so much. 

Lust mixed with desire washes over me reminding me of how much I want this man and how much I had to hold back five days ago.

He pulls away abruptly with a grunt.

I can hardly breathe as hot pleasure rushes all over me, pulsing through me so wildly.

Just before I can get over the passionate kiss, Xavier lowers himself, making me raise a curious brow and reminding myself about the surprise he is yet to show me.

While kneeling, he bends his head and produces a black box tied with a red ribbon. My heart skips a beat.

I look up at him when something sparkles in the distance and I see fireworks as well as the flash of light in every part of the house.

It surrounds us, leaving me agape as I stare at the petals of roses sprinkled on the bare floor.

A gasp escapes from my mouth as I whirl around to see him still kneeling with the box now opened revealing a sparkling diamond ring.

"I know I don't deserve you, Jasmine", he begins and it makes me smile with a tear dropping. I miss how he calls me that. He hasn't called me that in a while. I can't believe this is happening. 

Xavier is proposing!

I want to scream out loud for everyone to hear but I can't. I can't find my voice. I keep sucking in my breath and excitement, waiting for him to finish.

"Every time I think about how our paths crossed, I keep telling myself that this is meant to be. You were mistaken for a purpose. It happened so you could be mine."

Silence follows.

I sniff.

"I want you to forgive me. For everything I might have done to hurt you in the past or whatever I would do to hurt you. Henceforth, I want every moment to count. I want to create new memories for you. Sweet, lovely memories, enough to clear off the bad ones. I want to have and hold you now and forever. I want to be able to wake up with you right next to me. And lastly, I want to be able to love you till eternity. Will you please do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

Yes! My subconscious screams but no word is forming. I can't voice it out.

Tears are already rolling down my eyes as I go back down memory lane. From the slums to dropping out of school, to working from one place to the other, to getting kidnapped and finding my soulmate.

I have never been in love. But what I feel for him, I know it is love. I've always felt safe with him but now I even feel safer and I want to spend forever with him too and have kids that would look just like him.

"Did you google that?" I hear a rustle followed by the sound of someone's feet.

I look behind him to see Alex. Xavier does not turn back, he doesn't seem to be surprised to have Alex here.

I haven't gotten over the shock of the proposal when someone else appears. 

Andre.

We haven't spoken yet. We both seem to be avoiding each other. 

Shyly, she smiles at me and waves a little before standing right next to Alex.

I wipe my tears quickly before helping Xavier up. He must be embarrassed with Andre around and I understand they might not be comfortable with each other yet.

"Don't tell me you want to marry this jerk", Another familiar voice follows and I see Barbie standing next to my mom and Dad.

The tears I have been trying to hold back begin to flow uncontrollably. Xavier embraces me, patting my back slowly until I stop crying.

I really do not know why I am crying but I am sure it is tears of joy.

Seeing all these people who mean so much to me and having Xavier, a man they all feared so much, kneeling in front of me proposing, got to me. 

I can't believe Xavier is still doing this. It all seems like a dream.

Just like Alex said, he might have googled all of this but I don't care. The efforts he exerted into all of these are enough.

And I love him for that.

"Say yes", Dad pronounce, his face beaming brightly with a smile.

"Say no", Barbie opposes indifferently with her hands twirling her dyed pink hair.

That pushes the confidence back into me as I interlock gazes with Xavier who is looking all nervous now.

I touch his face with a smile on my face. We stare hard at each other and I see him gulping down loudly, his Adam's apple popping up and down. My gaze then shifts to his lips.

This is all I have ever wanted.

A family of my own.

Being in love.

Having children of my own with a man who is worth it.

Having meals with the family and the people I love.

Dining with my parents too 

Not otherwise.

Not being an orphan.

Not working shifts.

Not skipping meals.

Not getting harassed.

Not running off every single time at the thought of a threat from Vicenzo or any other man I assume is dangerous.

Not being a school dropout.

As though looking for support, I look over at my mom and she nods at me intermittently with a proud smile on her face as she weeps.

Then at Andre.

My twin.

My replica stares back at me with an unwavering look, the shyness from earlier gone.

And Alex who is grinning from ear to ear.

Then finally, I stare at Barbie who snorts and scoffs.

A smile leaves my mouth and I nod at him, stretching my hand forward to take the sparkling beauty.

"Yes, Xavier. I will marry you!" I say loud enough for everyone to hear.

A scream pierces the air as he slips the ring gently into my finger before embracing me. As soon as he pulls away, Alex grabs me from behind, spinning me till I begin to laugh just like he is doing.

From nowhere, I hear a smack sound and Alex lets go of me immediately.

"Let go of my wife, you jerk!" Xavier growls out possessively.

Alex balls his fist to fight him but I rush towards Xavier and slam my lips into his, as we pour out every other emotion into the kiss.

This time, it is much more passionate. It is filled with love, hurt, want, need, joy and happiness.

Which I hope and pray to last forever. Till eternity.

****
☺️☺️☺️