CHAPTER 74

Jasmine's POV 

The car won't budge even after several horns from the driver.

It makes me lean forward to take a look but I can't see anyone from the car. The glass is tinted black.

Grayson presses the horn again before throwing the door open. I know instantly that he wants to confront them.

I would have stopped him but I know we might not get out of here if he doesn't confront whoever is in the car. I am supposed to be home already but I choose to go to a bookstore to get a book before asking Grayson to drive me home.

If Alex gets home before me, there would be trouble. I know Xavier will be mad at me and I don't want that.

I am the angry one and I want to continue being the one angry at him.

I watch Grayson knock on the car door, waiting for the person in the driver's seat to open but there is no reply.

I furrow my brows in confusion. Just then, Grayson touches the back of his jeans and I see a gun appear.

What the hell! Why is he coming out with a gun? 

This person is not a threat. Maybe he or she is on a call and decides to finish up before answering the door.

I know my answer seems dumb but that is the only reason I can come up with something like this. No sane person would block the car, restricting people from going their way just for a call.

At the moment, I realize there are no other cars. It is just our car and theirs. The road is deserted.

My heart jumps into my stomach.

I continue to watch Grayson knock several times before he points the gun towards the door. He tries to open the car door but it won't budge either.

It hits me suddenly.

This is a trap.

Something is fishy.

I look away from Grayson, ransacking my small purse for my phone with trembling hands.

I need to call Xavier. I need to call him before something happens. He needs to know about where we are so he can come to rescue us before it is too late.

If that is what I am thinking, then Grayson alone can't handle these men.

I fish out my phone, trying so hard to remain calm but I can't help it. My whole body is shaking terribly and fear is crawling up my spine.

When I swipe up to unlock my phone, I see several missed calls from Xavier already. Without giving much thought about why he has called me several times, I dial his number and it rings, making me glue my eyes back to Grayson.

He is still waiting next to the car with his gun pointed. Our eyes meet and I see confusion and fear in his expression too.

I signal to him to come back. This is a trap. We need to leave here as soon as possible. 

The call goes to voicemail. I shift my gaze from Grayson who is already moving close to our car, shoving the gun back into the waistband of his jeans.

I dial Xavier's number again but before I can glue the phone to my ears to know if it is ringing or not, a shot rings out and I jerk upright, the phone falling off my hand.

Grayson is not in sight.

My heart skips a beat.

Grayson is not in sight and the damn car is still locked. 

What the hell is happening?

Quickly, ignoring my trembling body, I move to the front of the car, leaning forward to see if Grayson is down.

I see him then. 

He is on the floor, clutching his stomach which has been shot. A gasp leaves my mouth and before I know it, I grab the wheels and ignite the car into action.

Hurriedly, I open the driver's door and run towards him so I can help him into the car.

He shakes his head. "Go!"

"What?!" I exclaim, a sob threatening to escape my mouth.

"Please go now!" he yells, holding onto his stomach as he grunts out in pain.

No! I can't leave him. He will be killed if I do.

Not answering him, I try to get him to stand up but he is too heavy for me. With all my strength, I squat and hold onto him, trying to stand up despite his heavy weight on my shoulder.

Just when I am thinking I am making progress, he falls heavily to the ground with a deep grunt and another shot rings out.

Grayson lets out a scream. He is shot in the leg.

I whimper, clasping my hands over my mouth

In fright, I try to turn back to see who is behind the shooting when I get slammed into a hard chest from behind.

I can't see who it is but I can feel it.

"Hello, beautiful", the familiar voice whispers into my ears, sending a cold chill down my spine as his grip around my neck region becomes stronger. "Did you miss me?"

I bite my lips, tempted to reply to him but the sight of Grayson whimpering in pain makes me shut up.

"Let him go. Take me instead", I say to him with confidence.

"Nah", he says in a low tone, his stinking breath fanning my ear. He clicks his tongue and I wonder what he wants to do.

Letting go of me, I turn to face him squarely and I was right.

It is Sebastian with his ugly face and wicked smile.

He points the gun at Grayson who is still writhing in pain on the floor and he pulls the trigger.

"No!" I scream and run towards his body which goes still immediately. "No!"

****
What just happened?😭

Air your views and don't forget to vote❤️