CHAPTER 51

Jasmine's POV 

A part of me misses Xavier whom I haven't seen in three days.

I'm sure he is purposely avoiding me because of that question I threw at him that night when I was having menstrual discomforts.

I know he is busy too but I can feel it whenever he is avoiding me.

It makes me miss him more and sends my mind into a tumbling confusion of emotions on why I feel this way.

This is someone I claim to despise for all he has done, yet I miss his presence. I miss the safety and assurance that comes with his presence.

Does this mean I trust him? Does it mean I want him? Does it mean I am willing to take the place of Andre without giving a care in the world if she is found or not? Does it mean I never want to leave here?

What exactly do I want?

This is what I don't know.

And it scares me. It annoys me. It makes me feel pathetic.

I guess the fact that he left me without answering my question that night after being so sweet and calm which was to my greatest surprise has me hooked on what he really thinks of me or feels for me.

The last time I thought about this, I concluded that Xavier does not have a heart to love and he can never like me.

Maybe he only kissed me for no genuine reason.

As much as I want to believe this, I know it is not because those kisses were different. They felt different.

Probably for me and not for him.

After deciding to see him today, so we could talk and also to get on with my plans of being friendly with him till I can get Mr Moore's number from his phone. I stayed up to do something I promised myself never to do again till I leave.

I am cooking.

Elaine and I talked earlier when I was too bored to stay up alone in the room. He eats her food as well and it shocks me to the bone.

At home, he doesn't eat. But here in Italy, he eats.

He ate when we spent the night at Grandmother's and Elaine said he does here too, even though he doesn't eat much.

It makes me glad and I insisted on seeing how Elaine makes the food. Today, I purposely told Elaine not to come in to cook, promising to do it but she was not convinced so she came in to monitor me.

As soon as I was done with the pasta, I baked a small cake as dessert and made some fruit juice before arranging them on the food tray which Elaine usually uses to serve him.

Fortunately for me, as soon as I was done setting the table downstairs, I went upstairs to take a shower when I saw him coming out of the bathroom.

My eyes widen.

This time, not at his wet chest and the water trailing down from his wet hair but because I was surprised to see him back so early as I deeply hoped that he didn't see me in the kitchen cooking his meal.

I don't intend on telling him I made the food. I want to know what the problem is and why he doesn't eat back at home.

If he can eat my food, then I might tell him so I can begin to prepare his food. I really do not mind making his meals, if only he is going to eat.

"Where have you been?" his voice jerks me out of my thoughts.

This is when I know I am standing awkwardly by the door with my hands still on the door handle. Noiselessly, I close the door and nod at him with a smile. "I was downstairs. I was too bored since you have decided to ignore me."

"Ignore you?" he demands with his back to me as he strolls to the closet. "Why would I do that?"

I shrug, even though he isn't seeing me.

"Elaine has set the table", I inform him and he turns around with a raised brow. 

"Elaine?" he questions like that isn't what I just said. I nod, hoping he won't suspect a thing. He turns around again. "She doesn't cook unless I tell her to."

"Oh!" I only murmur, moving further into the room and thinking of what to tell him so he can be convinced enough to eat. 

The last time I cooked, he didn't eat and I won't be glad if it happens again.

"I'm hungry too, perhaps we should eat together…"

"Don't worry about me. I'm fine", he cuts me short sharply, making me feel a stab of disappointment.

Silence falls as I continue to think of what else to say to him.

With no idea popping into my head, I close my eyes and curse beneath my breath.

"Are you ok?" he demands from me, his voice close, making me flutter my eyes open immediately.

I flash him a small smile. "Yes, I am. Just hungry."

He nods and goes back to wiping his hair with a towel. There is a short on his lower body now.

As soon as he walks back to the closet, an idea hits me and I rise sharply to follow him.

"Xavier", I call, casting a frown at me. "Please let's eat together. I barely eat these days and that's because I'm always home alone and I'm not familiar with the food…"

"Tell Elaine to cook you something you can eat", he interrupts again, his face expressionless.

He may be thinking that I was about to say I am not familiar with the food here.

Like a child, I pout and fold my arms. Xavier is indeed a difficult man.

When he isn't showing any signs of being affected by my reaction, I say to him. "Please, let's eat together. I promise I won't ask you any questions if that is what you are scared of."

He stares at me intensely. The same kind of stare that always reminds me of those moments of passion between us.

Mentally, I shake my head to wave away the thought and focus on my plans.

Without a word, he puts a shirt over his head before answering eventually. "Fine, let's go."

I almost jump up for joy but I am quick to refrain from doing that as I step aside for him to pass.

He must be wondering why I am behaving strangely because of the looks he is darting my way at intervals.

He leads the way and I follow him with a wide grin on my face. We take the staircase down in absolute silence and when we get to the dining, he raises a suspicious brow at me again.

I open the meal for him as he takes a seat, and pour out the fruit juice before rushing back to the kitchen to grab my meal.

I sit next to him, hoping he won't feel uncomfortable. We never did this at home back in New York. We never ate together as a couple and this is really awkward.

As soon as I am seated, I wait for him to dig into his food but he is only watching me, making me think he must have figured out what is happening.

"Let's eat", I persuade with a smile, pointing to his meal which he looks down on without any iota of interest.

I thought Elaine said he likes pasta too. Why isn't he showing any interest in wanting to eat?

My head begins to spin with questions as I try to think of something more to say to urge him when he grabs his cutleries and digs into the food.

I watch with anxiety as he does that until he shoves the food into his mouth and chews on it carefully and quietly. 

Then he takes another and another as relief washes through me at that instant. With a satisfied smile, I begin to eat my own food too, feeling excited to have achieved my aim.

As we eat in silence, Xavier suddenly stops eating as he grabs the glass of fruit juice and sips it. He opens his mouth as if to ask me a question or say something when the front door opens and someone comes in.

"Hello, everyone", the chirpy Barbie says, dressed in a pink dress just like the last time we saw as she approaches the dining area with a smug smile on her face.

I am about to stand up to welcome her with a smile when I notice the irritation flashing across Xavier's expression with a deep scowl etched on his face.

Then he growls. "What the hell are you doing here?!"

****
❤️