CHAPTER 61

Jasmine's POV 

My heart squeezes as curiosity pricks at me at the heavy silence between us. It doesn't stop him from flashing me a cute smile at intervals as he prepares the meal, making me intrigued and drooling over him.

I have always thought bad of Xavier but right now, everything is about to change. My notion about him being so cold-hearted that he can't feel love is wrong.

But I can't figure out what exactly is going on between us. I don't know what to make of all these messed up, unexplainable and undefined tension and feelings between us.

I don't even know if it's just me or it's mutual.

One minute, I want to believe it is mutual and the next minute, my brain keeps telling me not to be deceived by any of this.

I don't even know why I asked him that question in the first place. I should have known he would never answer me. I should have known Xavier wouldn't admit anything until we presented her to him.

I guess I knew but I couldn't keep my mouth shut. I blurted it out before I realized it. That was the only reason I could give to all of this show of care and concern.

Xavier can not like me.

And even if he does, it's not me. It's Andre.

Despite my thoughts, my cheeks burn. Before I can say something to take my mind and head off the whole thing, my phone rings.

Nobody knows me here.

My phone can go days without ringing so I lean forward to catch a glimpse of a strange number appearing on my phone.

Aside from Xavier whose number is saved on my phone, Mr. Moore and Andre's number are the other two and I have not tried calling them both.

"Who is that?!" Xavier's voice breaks into my thoughts and I flash him an innocent smile.

"No one", I say and pick up the phone which has stopped ringing by now. As soon as I say that, it begins to ring again and I feel the urge to pick and know who this is.

"You should pick that", he encourages, peering down at me, making ripples of nervousness flow down my spine.

Quickly, I rise from the stool and pick the call turning my back to him as I venture into a different section of the penthouse.

"I heard you aren't Andre Moore but an imposter", the strange voice grumbles into the phone, making me stiff with fear and worry.

After a moment of silence, I find my voice eventually. "Who are you?"

She does not reply so I stare into the phone to see if she is still on the line when it hits me suddenly.

Catherina.

The laughter that erupts from her throat adds to my conclusion that the caller is no one but Catherina Costella. The woman from last night who introduced herself as Xavier's girlfriend.

It reminds me of the pang of jealousy I felt the moment she said that but I was happy I didn't over-react. It was obvious she wanted to achieve that.

Making me jealous was her aim.

"Are you Andre or not, you bitch?" she snaps at me over the phone, as I trudge further into the open room which turns out to be the bedroom.

"What do you think?" I question back with a small smile tugging on my lips. I wish I could see her right now. I wish I could see the curiosity on her face. I am not surprised she is asking this. 

Obviously, her father knows something and he must have told her I wasn't Andre just like how he blurted out to Xavier and me last night.

"Answer me, dammit. Are you Andre or not? Does he even know you are an imposter? How could he be so daft not to notice the difference between you two?"

I can hear her hard breathing and it makes me smile more.

"What do you think?" I stroll to a chair and slouch in. "Am I Andre or not? If I am not Andre, then who am I? Have you asked yourself that question?"

"I don't fucking care, bitch. Just get the hell out of his life before I expose you!" she barks with a tone filled with hatred.

I wonder where she has been all along.

Exposing me will definitely work to my benefit and I can't wait for her to do that.

Aside from that, I can't wait to see the look on Xavier's face when she tells him that. 

There is a bottle of wine on a small table in front of me so I pick it up and pour some content into a glass cup, wondering if Xavier kept this here so I could eat with it.

Gulping it down, the phone is still glued to my ears, waiting patiently for her to say more.

My eyes travel around the beautiful bedroom as the voice comes again. "Are you Andre Moore or not?!"

I remain mute, enjoying the tone of anger in her voice and wishing so desperately to see the look on her face. She might be all classy and sophisticated but not a threat and I won't feel any atom of fear in me about telling her the truth.

"No", I mutter calmly, taking a sip of the second glass of wine. "I am not Andre Moore…"

A gasp leaves her mouth.

"...Nor am I an imposter", I continue. I am not done with her. She called me a bitch and that is exactly how I want to behave. "I am no one but Xavier Ravarivelo's beautiful bride."

A smirk leaves my mouth at that and as I wait to hear a word from her, the clearing of the throat from the door startles me, making me rise instantly and drop my phone, ensuring that the call has been disconnected.

I don't want Xavier to know anything. Not my discussion with Catherina or anything that has to do with my findings about Andre.

I turn around slowly to meet his soft blue ocean eyes. They are enthralling. His chiseled jawlines are set and he looks extremely charming in that apron.

"Who was that?" he demands from me quickly, folding his arms around his bosom after taking off the apron and dumping it on a hanger as he strolls into the room.

There is absolutely no need to lie because it is obvious he was eavesdropping or probably heard the last statement. 

Looking down with a flushed expression, I reply. "Catherina. I have no idea how she got my number."

"Catherina?" he seems genuinely surprised, making me glance up at his cute face. "What the hell does she want?" he growls loudly.

I shrug nonchalantly without a word. 

He sighs and drops his arms, venturing fully in. "Catherina and I are not a thing. We never were…"

I didn't ask for any explanation yesterday nor am I asking today. Why does he feel the need to explain the kind of relationship they once had in the past? Do I look like I need them?

I shake my head while he trails off, his eyes full of passion and something else I can't place.

"Never mind, Xavier", I say with a smile. I shouldn't be bothered. Catherina is the least of my problems. Right now, the person I feel threatened by is no one but Andre.

She was the reason why I asked him that question. No doubt, I like Xavier but I don't know what he feels for me in return and even if I do, I feel like the feeling is meant for Andre and not me because he still does not believe I am not her.

Moving closer, still smiling even though deep down, my heart is banging harder than ever before. "I am not Andre, Xavier and I don't need any explanations from you about your past relationships."

His face became expressionless.

I know he doesn't like hearing my repetition of being someone different but I can't stop.

When I try to move past him, he grabs me, making me stand still in front of him, his face inches away from mine.

"Are you drunk?" he questions me, shifting his gaze to the wine bottle on the small table.

I laugh shortly and shake my head. His hand is still on mine and I am feeling so damn hot. Watching his face makes him more desirable and hot. Right now, I am beginning to wonder why Andre truly left when he is too handsome for his personality.

"I am not Andre, Xavier. Even Catherina knows that according to what she said a while ago. I guess her father told her but I don't care. I don't even feel threatened by her. That was why I asked you that question earlier. You promised to let me go when Andre comes but I can't help wondering if you will let me go truly…"

"No", he interrupts me from going further. To be honest, I didn't mean to ramble on and on but I did and I guess it's the wine. 

It must be alcoholic. I am beginning to feel lightheaded all of a sudden.

"I can't let you go until it is safe to", he adds, making my heart sink deeper. It feels as if a thousand arrows have been shot right at me at his statement.

When he said no, I thought he meant something else, not this.

I nod vigorously and try to yank my hand away but he doesn't release me. He continues to watch me with those eyes which I can't call lustful again because it seems I am just imagining things.

None of these is real. Not even the feelings I thought he had for me or her.

"Will you stay back?" Just as I am about to ask him to let me go, he questions again out of the blue just like he did a while ago before the call. 

The same question I avoided answering to but I was scared of where it was leading even though I brought it up.

The silence that hangs between us is mixed with a suppressing sexual tension. At first, I thought I was also imagining it was sexual tension but the moment his eyes shifted to my lips, I knew I was right this time.

Uncaring about whether this feeling of his is for Andre or the real Jasmine who is right before him, I wrap my hand around the back of his neck and pull him closer until my lips brush against his in a fiery kiss.

****
Surprise!!!😂😂😂😂

I love you guys and I miss you. I couldn't help but update today❤️❤️❤️❤️

Air your views and don't forget to vote❤️